Looking for a cheap esc/motor combo (separate) for my mini b

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
The Dynamite 2 in 1 is done. The on/off switch needs to be soldered back in and it is in some sort of protection mode which I cannot get out of.

Looking at cheap amazon combos. Like GoolRC and Surpass Hobby. Are these good brands to go with?

Also have been looking at the Hobbywing 16BL30 but it is out of stock (4500kv combo). I could always go with the 6500kv combo, would the 6500 be too much for off road racing?

Also want a combo which the motor is within the rules. Which is 380 size motor or below.

I could always go with the new Spektrum 2 in 1 but I don't got 80 some dollars right now. Looking below about 50 dollars as my budget.

Hey David,

Were it me, I'd think long and hard about using another combo motor/ESC in a racing environment. Perhaps consider a stand-alone package consisting of separate motor/ESC?

I've liked the concept of a combo motor/ESC from the space saving aspect and saving of wiring weight. My concern has always been excessive motor heat created by the motor in a racing environment is detrimental to performance and longevity of an internal ESC. Very possibly this is what you have experienced?

[Edit> Thinking more along the lines of a combo induced vibration existing between the motor and the drivetrain is another issue. Even with dead-smooth interface between motor and drivetrain, external racetrack encounters force unwanted vibrations into the motor can. A stand-alone ESC is unaffected by this. A combo motor/ESC is vulnerable to induced vibration damage and wandering harmonics.]

Thinking where RC technology is now with motor/ESC combos that more work is needed to dissipate heat adjacent to the ESC as created by the motor. Motor/ESC combos will continue acceptable for bashing or casual running. For racing, I'd take a pass for now.

Hope this helps in the decision-making process. Cheers. 'AC'

Last edited:
Were it me, I'd think long and hard about using another combo motor/ESC in a racing environment. Perhaps consider a stand-alone package consisting of separate motor/ESC?
Yea I had been looking at ESC and motor separate from each other like normal. The 2 in 1's definitely save space on the chassis. And wiring too on these small and tight chassis. But I seen standalone/ separate ESC and motors fit in these before so I will try it out.
My concern has always been excessive motor heat created by the motor in a racing environment is detrimental to performance and longevity of an internal ESC. Very possibly this is what you have experienced?
Maybe, maybe not. The esc just beeps and I have to hold in the on/off switch to get it to beep or work. And when it is beeping, I do not have throttle or reverse. It's not in program mode, it's not heat or low voltage, so had to be some sort of protection thing I can't get out of.
[Edit> Thinking more along the lines of a combo induced vibration existing between the motor and the drivetrain is another issue. Even with dead-smooth interface between motor and drivetrain, external racetrack encounters force unwanted vibrations into the motor can. A stand-alone ESC is unaffected by this. A combo motor/ESC is vulnerable to induced vibration damage and wandering harmonics.]

Thinking where RC technology is now with motor/ESC combos that more work is needed to dissipate heat adjacent to the ESC as created by the motor. Motor/ESC combos will continue acceptable for bashing or casual running. For racing, I'd take a pass for now
All is true. The local track owner has 3 mini b's and in all of them, he has standalone ESC and motor. On FB, I seen lots of racers use the Dynamite or Spektrum 2 in 1 no problems. Also to note, this Dynamite motor/ESC I got is almost a year old in this coming July. Maybe it's just because of age?
I have the bigger version of this in my slash. The ESC is really nice, the programmability of it and the data logging is what really sold me.
I seen people use the castle stuff in minis. They are more for bashing than racing. The combo you linked is the 5300 which should be fine or good for racing. I seen most people use the 8200kv/8400kv which is just insane. That is more for the bashing and speed running. Castle combos are way out of my price range too.

Just searched it up, they do have lower and higher kv motors which are nice, but again, way out of my price range. I think I said my price range is around 50 dollars so leaning towards cheap Amazon combos / the Hobbywing stuff.

Hobbywing 16BL30 ESC and a decent 2435 motor should be under $70.

Back