Kind of a noob question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooky78

RCNT Window Licker
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So today my brother and I were bashing. He has a T-Maxx 3.3 and I was running my Savage. I've always noticed, but why is my Savage SOOO much louder? His stock 3.3 with the stock aluminum pipe, my stock whatever 4.1/4.6 with the stock nylon pipe.

My guess is small block (3.3), vs. big block (4.6) is what makes the noise difference and possibly the design and materials used in the pipes.

It's a bigger engine, and the pipe will be different too.

Yeah my thought was big block vs. small block too. Just wondered if anyone knew.

Yeah my thought was big block vs. small block too. Just wondered if anyone knew.
The bigger engine will produce more exhaust gasses so will need a bigger less restrictive exhaust, making it louder.

It is the pipe. There are less restrictive small block pipes like the THS or the old Trinity pipes for the Revo that are LOUD. Much louder than the stock pipe or resonater.

Well I definitively figured it out. The pipe is busted. And the insert wasn't even in there.

so, @richard lee, whats your recommendation for a pipe? ASAIK this is a stock Savage. I got it in a package trade, I've always wanted one, and I plan on keeping it. As far as it goes, I understand this IS NOT a cheap hobby, but I won't spend a ridiculous amount on it. I'm in the hobby because myself and my family enjoy it, but it is a HOBBY, and as such comes after real life stuff. I'm not afraid to spend money, and I will spend money on quality. Such as... I prefer Castle over Turnigy because their customer service is phenomenal. And most times, I'm willing to spend a bit more and support my LHS because i feel if I don't, I'm not doing my part to help keep them here.

Um, none if the stock plastic pipes have that aluminum cone thing, it comes with all new savages, but it's always comes as an extra part in a bag of extra parts, which is strange, cause all those plastic pipes are sonically fused/welded together, and once you disassembled the stock plastic pipe to put that aluminum cone in the pipe, you'll never get it to stop leaking.

I was once told that an ofna 086, and novarossi 28T engine was a great combo. I got around to getting the pipe, but never got around to buying the engine.

Um, none if the stock plastic pipes have that aluminum cone thing, it comes with all new savages, but it's always comes as an extra part in a bag of extra parts, which is strange, cause all those plastic pipes are sonically fused/welded together, and once you disassembled the stock plastic pipe to put that aluminum cone in the pipe, you'll never get it to stop leaking.

I was once told that an ofna 086, and novarossi 28T engine was a great combo. I got around to getting the pipe, but never got around to buying the engine.
So... are you saying stick with the stock pipe?

No, if I had the the interest to keep buying nitro parts, I'd get a hand built ERCM pipe. I've placed an order for one before Christmas, but I have yet to get my PayPal invoice in an e-mail, but Robin is probably too busy with his day job to send me one, which is OK, since I haven't ordered anything new for my FLM savage in a couple of months, it kinda just sits there...

@Alexander_0_1 I'd like to have an ERCM pipe, but I just can't justify the price. I'm sure it's a killer piece, but I just can't afford it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUNED-PIPE-...430754?hash=item3aa7aff8e2:g:OocAAOSweW5VLy~p
s-l1600.jpg

I used it on my 4.6 and then the LRP .32. I fractured the original composite pipe and went looking for a cheap replacement.
IMG_6105.gif

Back