Just picked mine up. Trouble with the FOC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatzoRC

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey all.
Just picked mine up tonight, and bought the forward only conversion.
Man am I having trouble.
They use the red loctite on the truck.
I broke my Dynamite allen wrench trying to get the universal off of the gear shaft.
Did any of you do this conversion?

1st time I've heard about a fwd only conv. what are the pros with the conv.? does it just get rid of the rev module? i find the rev. works great on the MGT. lucky u got locktite lol lost two set screws cause there were not tite enough.

You can use a hand torch to get the screws out of the universals.It will melt the threadlock.

I would have, but it would have melted the plastic tranny case.
I had to drill it out and machine a new hole for the grub bolt.
I did heat the aluminum with a solder torch as much as possible, but didn't come out.
I took it to the LHS where I work as a tech, and we broke 4 Associated allen tools on this stupid grub bolt.
We gave up and put it in the drill press.

As Sunnyd's question, Yes.
team associated makes a forward only conversion.
the benefit of that, is to lighten up the drivetrain, and now the tranny has less weight to spin.
Forward only means no reverse. can't use reverse when racing, so i didn't need it.

I just bought this truck last night, and plan on racing it. Thats why I did the conversion.

the reason why they use the RED loctite now on the newer GT kits, is because they had a lot of problems with the first generation of kits losing the universal grub bolts.

Oh they fixed that problem!!
Now you can't get them out for nothing.
newer GT's try Dynamite on those allen bolts.
this is all the steel parts no longer used after conversion.
2185less.jpg

This is the part that butts up against the tranny, that we had to drill out.
2185universal.jpg

Last edited:
ahh i see! is the grub bolt a set screw and pin all in one? cause if so i lost one off my Grub bolts or set screws from my universal going to my front diff and your right it wasn't locktite down properly, hope i dont lose anymore ! did go through em all and applyed more locktite

Yeah thats the bolt. You should get the loctite they used on mine.
They might as well have tig welded it!
We had to drill it out!!

lmao tig weld, i used to be a welder/machinest

Only had time to do 1 tank today. Breaking in sucks, but is very important.
Will do another tank after work tomorrow.
can't wait to lean it out!

Where are ya RatzoRC ! Finish breaking her in yet? and if so how are you liking the rig?

Not done yet. Just did another tank today. 2 tanks to go.

I did 7 tanks on mine to be safe. Mine keeps getting better. I replaced the head with one from Golden Horizon. ALso Have the ACNCM one . That one seems too shiny to screw up . Funny you say that you Center Universal was tigh cuz mine had a grub screw that backed out. THAT SUCKED ASS!! Still waiting on a RC-solutions Roll cage. I also want some better shocks. The Picco 26 will be going in soon unless I get a RB Mill or a Sirio 27. Anyways Have fun breakin it in!!

Last edited:
the GH head for the MGT is awsome! I'm running integy piggybacks, big improvement over stock i found and they look great too :)

sure ill post some once i clean up my ride, covered in mud right now lol

Back