Just got used T maxx- Differential questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Gray

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I recently got a T-maxx in a trade that is fully built out in aluminum except for the differential housings. I noticed that when I spin my axles one by one there seams to be one that turns rougher than the rest and actually has a bit of a wobble to it. The truck drives ok but I'm worried I'll do more damage if I don't fix a problem now. How can I tell if I have potential gear problem or bearings? If I end up rebuilding them both is aluminum housings ok and what brand should I go with that has the tightest tolerances? As for the gears supposedly they are robinson. What about the internal gears, sides etc. Can I get those upgraded? I didn't see any on Robinsons web site.

Also does any one have a simple solution for removing stripped out hex srews? I have many that would need to be removed to get to the differentials. Bummer deal!!!

Thank you in advance for all your help

For the stripped hexes, you could try wedging a "Slightly" oversized torx bit into the head of the bolt, and gently undo the bolts with that. Seems to work out ok for me when i do it with stripped hex head bolts..........

BTW, just out of interest, what make are the alloy parts on the rig ??

The front and back bumper say A cnc M. As for the rest there is no brand on it. I was told it was HPI parts. Nice stuff for sure, very beefy yet very light. This T-maxx weighs less than my Losi LST2. I'll try the torx, thanks for the info.

Do you hear any "crunching" or binding from the diffs or carriers? Could be that you need to check the bearings in the carriers or they could just use a little tightening. There are 2 allen head screws through the top and bottom of the carrier that hold it on. I have had one come loose before and cause a lot of wheel wobble. If its been running like that for a while could have cause one of the 2 bearings in the carrier to go out. I would check that first. The only way to check the other is to break the diff down and inspect all the gears for slippage or marring. Also check and make sure there is good lithium grease in there. Probably wouldnt hurt to do that anyway and put some fresh grease in there. That way you can be sure whether or not your truly have Robinson Racing parts in there. As far as housings go, are you talking about diff housings or something else? I'm thinking that all the gears will have about the same tolerance, but there are small washers to adjust for a better mesh.

Last edited: