Is the 3.3 Junk??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwilson2k1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Traxxas boasts that the new 3.3 is a wheelie machine, but I am not seeing it. What is the problem??

My guess is like this: The 3.3 and the 2.5 are alike in that some run great, and some run like crap. I've had plenty of traxxas engines, that have gone balls to the wall fast, and some that just wouldn't run if my life depended on it. I'm not judging from used engines, but new ones. I've seen a couple 3.3s run awesome, and some that wouldn't pull the wheels at all.

Before you pull the junk card, check all your bases before hand. Make sure your slipper isn't too loose, and your complete driveline starting with the flywheel, through the wheels.

If that all checks out, I'd call traxxas.

I saw a 3.3 Maxx and it would pull wheelies with ease, go through the check list as Busted suggested. Also I have read where people were having trouble with the inside of the pipe melting and partially stopping up the exhaust, make sure air flows through the pipe without restriction.

4u2nv said:
my guess would be improper tuning.
Also very possible but they wheelie so easy it would have to be way off IMO.

The 3.3 has enough power to pull wheelies. I don't care what anybody says. Like what is said above its something isn't tuned correctly.

mine will pull wheelies with ease. i did have problems with my slipper clutch being very loose from the factory. my pipe is melting and stops up every once in a while. when this happens i shove a screwdriver in the outlet and bust it all off. You might set your high and low speed needles back to factory and see how it does. i think it is 4 turns out on the high speed needle and adjust the low speed to where the screw is even with the housing. with my settings at factory it runs like a champ.

thanks all for suggestions!!

I do have that problem with exhaust pipe. Does it look like a stick was jammed in there?? Mine does(or did)lol.

I am kind of a rookie with screwing around with my truck so not sure how to adjust slipper and what else you were talking about. If you could give some instruction I would sure appreciate it. Thanks Again

:ponder2:

Register yourself in the Traxxas forums at www.traxxas.com. You'll find a boat-load of awesome Traxxas-specific help and information. And to answer your question, I've seen many 3.3's in action at the track and when properly tuned will pull wheelies all day - not a good thing while racing! They consistently eat my 2.5R alive and even outrun some of the .21/.26 equipped trucks there. I even saw a 3.3 REVO eat a .46 equipped Warhead and spit out the parts!

Besides heating up to about 370 degrees Ferenhiet(sp?), I am pleased with the power the 3.3 puts out. Puts my truck on its lid with ease.

Vincemaxx119 said:
Besides heating up to about 370 degrees Ferenhiet(sp?), I am pleased with the power the 3.3 puts out. Puts my truck on its lid with ease.
ex squeeze me? 370 Degrees F? Does it still run ?

Vincemaxx119 said:

:OMG: does it heat up that much everytime? have you tried a different temp gun? it might be reading wrong if the truck is running good.
just my .02

Vincemaxx119 said:

Please tell use your exaggerating. If not just go ahead and order the new mill by the time you get it yours will be cooked!

No exageration(sp?), it reached 400 once. I've tried everything. I'm going to go back to factory settings and trying again. The temp monitor isn't too far off i don't think, by the time it reads 300+, the cylinder head is steaming with smoke.

Is your fuel fresh? Engine sealed up right? How much fuel through it now?

brand new gallon, not sure if the engine is properly sealed, and it has had 8 tanks through it. It's pretty new.

cavicatz24 said:
Register yourself in the Traxxas forums at www.traxxas.com. You'll find a boat-load of awesome Traxxas-specific help and information. And to answer your question, I've seen many 3.3's in action at the track and when properly tuned will pull wheelies all day - not a good thing while racing! They consistently eat my 2.5R alive and even outrun some of the .21/.26 equipped trucks there. I even saw a 3.3 REVO eat a .46 equipped Warhead and spit out the parts!
I officially recant my suggestion. Don't go there if it can be helped. That whole forum is becoming a joke... hypocrites in charge=bad. And heaven forbid you mention anything non Traxxas... jeez!:whip:

Vincemaxx119 said:
brand new gallon, not sure if the engine is properly sealed, and it has had 8 tanks through it. It's pretty new.
Have you checked for any binding in the drive train? Have you checked for any bulkheads broken that may cause bining in your diffs or driveline.

What CB and Spur are you using? A lower tooth CB will give your engine more instant torque. Also, how is your suspension set up? If it's really soft then it'll soak up the momentum required to pull the front wheels up. Mine is set kinda soft and when I romp on the throttle the back end squats. Squat=no wheelie!

Back