internet distance help.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowngreen

Robmob is a Californian.
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I'm making a room about 100 ft away from the house, where my router is, and will want internet out there. If I run 100ft or more of ethernet cable, will I lose much speed?
Would that be the cheapest route? I can get 100ft or even 250ft of it for like $30.
Then would I beable to just run it into the room into another router, so I could use a few devices?

I get pretty darn good signal more than 100ft away from my wireless network router. In my back bedroom i actually pick up my neighbors network good as well and he is over 200ft away.

My router only goes like 50 ft then I lose the signal.

With as much either net line as are run in large companies, there should be no problems with signal speed. Just remember, its gotta get to your house somehow.

You can run CAT 5 ethernet cable 100m (333ft), so you won't have any issues there. Make sure you get outdoor rated cable, or the elements and heat / cold wil break it down faster than you'd think.

Ok sounds good, I'll get some ordered. Didnt think about what big buildings use, guess that makes perfect sense. Didnt/dont wanna do a new router unless it my breaks, I bought one last year and couldnt ever get it to work so I took it back and stuck with this one which works for my needs.

Yup, ethernet will have no problems at 100ft. You can get 1000ft of outdoor Cat 5e for $122 at Monoprice - they also have various other lengths for cheap.

I should run internet to every where I go then lol.

With as much either net line as are run in large companies, there should be no problems with signal speed. Just remember, its gotta get to your house somehow.

I have been working in IT for the last 15 years, I have never once come accross an either net cable. :D I love you alpine..... but I couldn't pass this chance to poke at you! :stick:

Also if you don't want to buy outdoor rated cable you can always run regular cat 6 and just put it in conduit... but for the price Woodie found on outdoor cable, I would buy that. That's a really good price for direct burial cable.

Ok so when I get the cable ran will I just use another router on it to be wireless in that room. Would i use my pc that's on the first router to set it up.

is this thing on? :D

Ok thanks.

I had a similar setup in the old house. Wireless signal in the garage was poop. Ran a cable from my switch to a wireless access point in the garage and the whole yard was good at that point.

Modem--->router--->16port switch.
Direct into switch was an ethernet cable that was run into every room of the house. (back when 802.11b was still the fastest you could get. )
Then 2 wireless access points. One for the house and one on the end of a long run into the garage.

I could pick up the 802.11n in the garage from over a block away!!

I had a similar setup in the old house. Wireless signal in the garage was poop. Ran a cable from my switch to a wireless access point in the garage and the whole yard was good at that point.

Modem--->router--->16port switch.
Direct into switch was an ethernet cable that was run into every room of the house. (back when 802.11b was still the fastest you could get. )
Then 2 wireless access points. One for the house and one on the end of a long run into the garage.

I could pick up the 802.11n in the garage from over a block away!!

So u ran a cable to the garage correct? But what then, a router?

So u ran a cable to the garage correct? But what then, a router?

Oh, I though I explained, I ran the cable from the switch inside the house to a wireless access point in the garage.

Most people don't know that there is a difference between an access point and a router because manufacturers have been packaging them together as one unit for a long time now. (Wireless Router)

A router is a traffic cop that allows inside traffic to flow to the outside and Vice Versa. An access point will only ever pass internal traffic along the same network.

Another way of thinking about it is that a router acts like a boarder guard. The only way you can cross into the other country is if you have the correct papers and a valid reason to be entering the other country.

An access point is only a local cop with no jurisdiction in other countries. It only cares that you are a citizen of this country. If you are, you are allowed to travel between states and towns without issue.

So, lets say you want to post to RCNT from your tablet in the garage. You authenticate to the access point wirelessly and are allowed into the network. You are then passed off to the router who decides if you are allowed out onto the internet or not. If so, it then passes the signal along to the modem and then to your ISP. If you have an active account with the ISP, they then pass you off to the internet backbone and so on and so forth until your request finally gets all the way to the server and then RCNT and then all the way back to you to confirm that your reply has been posted.

Last edited:
Back