Interesting shock mod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
While sitting on staff duty this evening I was playing with my savage and everything I could think of trying, aside from adding t-maxx shocks onto it and thus limiting the range of motion of the suspension I came up with an idea to use my black trinity springs to beef up the suspension. Upon looking into this further I realized that I would need to use all of the shock shims that were in my tool box that came with 3 different t-maxx's and would look ugly as hell. It also might run the risk as I saw earlier this evening of the shims popping out of the shocks while I was running it. Regardless of what was tried I knew the stock springs were just too weak for my needs.

The end result will be posted in pics when I get off duty and am able to take some pics woth me digital camera at home, you gotta have your priorities of what's more important to bring to duty, my camera or my savage. Anyway, what I did is put a combo similar to what trinity did with their 2 piece springs. I put a stock traxxas shock spring on first followed by my extra black trinity springs. Since the stock springs are fairly weak they stay nearly halfway compressed all the time while the black trinity springs are only about an 1/8th compressed.

I kinda looks funky but it works like a dream. My savage is now able to bounce back from jumps like my t-maxx and one of the things that I have found is that the t-maxx stock springs take 98% of all of the shock, thus cheaper repairs as they get worn out.

WFC also makes some heavy duty springs that are much stiffer than the stock. I will report on them as soon as they get here (should be today)

You can see since the black springs are higher tension they keep the red ones more complessed and allosing the springs not to bind around the shock itself.
Here's the first pic

Attachments

• mvc-710c.jpg
    mvc-710c.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 139
Here's one of the springs fully compressed. The black springs are slightly complessed while the red ones are fully compressed.

Attachments

• mvc-711c.jpg
    mvc-711c.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 131
Gallery!!:ahh:

Back