Inside of ENGINE

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighomedog11

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey I took my motor apart to seal it. I had found some Permatex Black Sealant in my tool box so i used that.. I also took some pictures of the inside of my piston.. Tell me what you guys think..

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG0197.jpg
    IMAG0197.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 99
Its not pitted so that's good. Or at least it doesn't look pitted. How many gallons do you have through it? It looks like its been running lean for a while though.

+1 for the lean condition. Anytime you have darker deposits on the piston head its a clear indication you were lean. Your airleak that you are sealing up will also lead to that condition. You may find that once properly sealed you will have to get a completely different tune together.

Probably have about 2 gallons Ran threw it.. It runs strong just a tad bit dirty.. Does everything look good though? It just the picture makes it look kind of dark.

Personally - I wouldnt have torn the head off without a thurough cleaning of everything first. The amount of gunk you have around the carb and headgasket area could lead to a prematurly worn engine. If your going to reseal I would completely tear it apart and inspect everything. Piston, sleeve, conrod, bearings, carb, and just about everything else. It sucks when you tear 1/2 down to fix something and reassemble just to find you had a bad bearing or gasket somewhere else.

Yeah it does look kind of gunky, But i cleaned all that gunk and crap up from around the carb and stuff. I also lube the bearings because they felt like they was getting gritty. But i am going to pull it out today and see how it runs. But does the top of the piston look bad? Or is that the normal color? I also probably should switch my fuel to a better brand because rite now I am using Wild Cat Eliminator

You can run with the look of your piston. Its just that the color tells us that you used to run it on the lean side. All the darkness is caused from the motor running lean and hot. I would richen and tune for engine life rather than fullout power. IMO a rich engine while not as powerful as your buddies is going to last a couple more gallons than his. I also prefer Odonells speedblend 20% fuel. You can continue to burn what you have providing it contains enough quality lubricants to keep your moving parts lubricated.

Alright, I took my truck out today and it ran good, I am just going to make sure i keep it on the rich side for now on like you said. So the fuel i am using is good? Just need to richen it up some more.. Correct?

I've never used the fuel so not sure about that and IMO yes you should run richer than you normally did. You will lose some power but gain engine longevity

Are you tuning with a IR thermometer? Do you have a decent blue trail out of the exhaust?

No i do not have a thermo, I need to get on though.. Yes i get a nice blue trail of smoke every time i run it

You really should invest in a thermo, for $20 it's the best insurance you can have.