Indoor Painting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partsmgr

RCTalk Racer
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've seen several comments about paint booths in the house but can't find any detailed info. What is everyone using to can or airbrush paint inside without overspray getting everywhere?

There are some good diy vids on youtube. Search for diy indoor paint booth.
I've seen several comments about paint booths in the house but can't find any detailed info. What is everyone using to can or airbrush paint inside without overspray getting everywhere?

I'm not really looking for a project. I've seen some on amazon but don't know if they are really any good.

I have a spray booth, but I won't use canned paint in it. I do that outside. But booths are great for airbrush work. Mine is small, but I do mostly small scale painting. It won't really fit the bigger 1/10 bodies in it, but does OK for anything up to true 1/10 scale bodies, like Tamiya or Kyosho 1/10 bodies.

This is the one I have, and I love it, but I found mine on ebay for $90 when I bought it 8 years ago. I cannot believe how much they are now...

Master Airbrush Brand Lighted Portable Hobby Airbrush Spray Booth with LED Lighting for Painting All Art, Cake, Craft, Hobby, Nails, T-Shirts & More. Includes 6 Foot Exhaust Extension Hose https://a.co/d/cmDBdtK

I'm not really looking for a project. I've seen some on amazon but don't know if they are really any good.
All the ones I have seen on Amazon look either too small for my needs or are too expensive. When I finally get around to needing one, I will be building my own with an air system that doubles as dust collection.
Just don't want to get a small one and be cramped in there while trying to get a good coat on.

I also couldnt find one big enough for my needs that wasn't several hundred dollars+. I ended up DIYing one. If you end up deciding to build one let me know I can give you a link to a video I did that kind of explains how I made it and demos it a bit.

I honestly just use a big cardboard box. In the corner of my garage. Which has a exhaust fan so the fumes don't hang around.

Wish I had a garage, this would be a moot point.

Wish I had a garage, this would be a moot point.
Lol a what?

Where you trying to paint. There a bunch of different ways to make a small scale paint both.

Worried about fumes could always put a small fan in window and run flex duct to the back of box or what ever. And have it blow out the window

My garage is just another room in my house. It's actually my RC shop. Not used as a normal 1.1 scale car garage. So it's like I'm painting in my house really..

With a little imagination, a crude paint booth is very simple and effective. As @STONER RC said, a simple large cardboard box will do. Then all you would need is a laundry dryer duct and a window fan. Saran Wrap could be used as a shielding window and to create more negative pressure to maximize exhaust.
If you want to maximize lighting, you could use a clear plastic storage container.

A quick Google search yielded a bunch of ideas...
Screenshot_20231221_105623.jpg

Screenshot_20231221_105426.jpg

Be advised, if you paint indoors without the exhaust fan you will have paint dust on everything....ask me how I know. 🤣
That's my biggest concern is the paint dust. I can manage the fumes with a fan in the window.

A quick Google search yielded a bunch of ideas...
View attachment 177419
View attachment 177420
Neither of those are really very good ideas though. You want the filter media covering the entire back of the booth, with the fan sitting a bit behind the filter media to create a vacuum chamber between the fan and filter. That way the intake draw pulls from the entire opening of the booth, rather than just the center.

Neither of those are really very good ideas though. You want the filter media covering the entire back of the booth, with the fan sitting a bit behind the filter media to create a vacuum chamber between the fan and filter. That way the intake draw pulls from the entire opening of the booth, rather than just the center.
I just showed crude ideas to give the op ideas. Trying to figure out overspray control and the adequate cfm for the exhaust will have to be something he would have to figure out.

I just showed crude ideas to give the op ideas. Trying to figure out overspray control and the adequate cfm for the exhaust will have to be something he would have to figure out.
Yeah, I got ya. Just wanted to point out some design flaws there.

Guess I'll stick to rattle cans out in the yard.

I know that the OP has stated that he isn't interested in building a spray booth, but I thought I'd share my build for future folks reading through this thread. Sorry for the low res pics. I took these like 14-15 years ago.

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture4.JPG