I'm downloading Mandrake 9.2 Right now

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WINDOW XP PRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until the 64 bit OS from windows gets easy to get my hands on.
:) :) :) don't :smoke:

Originally posted by newnitrofan
Ok so sorry for sounding like a total newbie to Linux but what makes it so way cool over windows. I'm not fighting the conversion actually but am curious about the program. Later

I think what makes Linux cool is the fact that it was originally created by programmers and hobbyist through out the world.

One of the other cool things about linux is the fact that lets say there was something you would want to add to the OS, if you had the knowledge and the time you could actually make those changes to the OS. Under the license agreement of linux you must include the source code along with the OS. So you could actually make changes to the source code and distribute your own flavor of linux nitrofan-linux.

I am not sure what the number is right now but there are a huge number of linux web-server out there on the net. we might even be connected to one right now on this forum. Do you want to know what the cost of running a linux web-server is? well it will only cost you the price of the hardware you install it on. Yes you will see people charging for linux, but what your really paying for is a manual and probably a year support contract for help.

Other neat things are.... you can actually run flavors of the linux OS of of a floppy disk. It can be as bloated or paired down as you want. I could write about this all day LOL... Ok I will stop now LOL

sLY

In a multimillion dollar corporate network we still use Linux to this day as a second firewall (out of 3) as well as a network analysis tool. Not only can Linux tools sniff a network best, but you can also run some really KICKASS Intrusion Detection software that runs cleaner than the freshly driven snow in the Rockies!

Our most reliable servers run HP/UX which is still Unix! STABLE! Can I say STABLE!?!?!? Althout Linux and Unix are different they are almost 1 in the same!

Gotta Love Linux/Unix! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

Originally posted by WoodiE
msly,

I'd have to agree with you, Computer Shopper had a great article about Open-Source Software. I think it's a sleeping beast myself and only a matter of time before it hits as big as people don't think it will.

-Michael

ps. I've updated my first reply with some good links as well for getting a Linux Disto.

Its not a sleeping beast anymore. Apache has been webserver #1 for many many many years now. FreeBSD has been the Unix flavor with the highest uptime ever recorded. http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

In the embedded circuits Linux is already #1 since a while.

The only market Linux/*BSD is missing out, is the desktop. But it will happen sooner or later as soon as the good applications and games get ported to Linux.

Thomas

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ

Our most reliable servers run HP/UX which is still Unix! STABLE! Can I say STABLE!?!?!? Although Linux and Unix are different they are almost 1 in the same!

Well thats the problem thats why SCO is trying to strong arm people that are running linux. Hey chris how has your company been handling the fact that SCO is saying that Linux is using unix code and that you should pay them for running linux??

sLY

Originally posted by msly

Well thats the problem thats why SCO is trying to strong arm people that are running linux. Hey chris how has your company been handling the fact that SCO is saying that Linux is using unix code and that you should pay them for running linux??

sLY

Any company who has paying SCO license fees because they are using Linux, are idiots. Plain and simple. SCO is using FUD, nothing else.

Thomas

Has anyone used lycois linux it looks really tight but i am having trouble finding a place to download it

Back