I need help deciding on these 4 engines...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbssowner07

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So my .25 stock engine ain't cutting it on my savage and all these traxxas 3.3 trucks have a faster throttle response and higher speeds. I need more engine now lol I just ordered a new flywheel, 3-shoe aluminum clutch shoes, vented 17t clutch bell, and a 49t metal spur gear. Oh btw this is going in my savage 25. I have found these 3 engines on amazon.com but I'm pretty sure y'all know where to get them cheaper. Give me some pros and cons and some feedback on them please.

78739AA3-C1FD-40CC-A418-E9A532961FE8-1183-0000003EB4DC26E7_zpsca1771a7.jpg

36809149-0D07-46EF-9401-9E21491842D6-1183-0000003EBC4F2300_zps99f30755.jpg

0ACE6DF3-4DD3-4893-B8FC-44C0667C6642-1183-0000003EC3D7F056_zps3cff7e0f.jpg

F4246289-3A6D-4C3C-9216-582B003281A8-1183-0000003ECB8AC70A_zps89948d1a.jpg

^^Cause they are fine when you first buy the truck^^
***the 4.6 and the 5.9 aren't made with quality materials or not enough quality materials***
I'd go with the picco .28/LRP .28

I have picco/boost .28s, I've only opened my first one a month ago I like it.
and I hear good things about the LRP engines!

Last edited:
^^Cause they are fine when you first buy the truck^^
***the 4.6 and the 5.9 aren't made with quality materials or not enough quality materials***
I'd go with the picco .28/LRP .28

I have picco/boost .28s, I've only opened my first one a month ago I like it.
and I hear good things about the LRP engines!

Well I've read manny mixed reviews on all engines but the only stuff I found was from years ago. So maybe the engines have changed a bit. I've also seen these engines in YouTube all seem to run good

Go with the Picco .28 while they still have them in stock, hands down the best mt big block out there. LRP .28 spec 3 is a great choice as well. Quality wise the Picco is definetly better tho. Don't bother with the stock 4.6 or 5.9, upgrade to a better built and more powerfull engine while u have the chance to.

I had a LRP .32 but I sold it and now have a Picco Boost 5tr, it's an awesome engine and it's built with better parts then the LRP and 10x better then the stock 4.6 and 5.9 POS I had before getting the LRP.

You'll get mixed reviews on just about everything because people have different tastes , needs, expectations and experience. All of those engines will probably be a real improvement over what you have now but if it were my money; the picco would be my first choice. Then the lrp. I don't know how you're having trouble with 3.3s anyway. :)

I heard a review on the picco .28 having issues on the carb on YouTube but who knows heat just of gotten a faulty carb

---------- Post added at 3:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:22 PM ----------

Btw where's the cheapest and reliable source to order a picco .28 or a lrp .28? I'm for sure indecided with these two

^^^Nothin is needed it's direct fit, the cooling head fit in there nicely also. Some Savage mounts tho need to be shaven to fit around the Picco crank case. I have to HPI billet mounts and they both need to be shaven down ever so slightly to fit, so ppl get lucky and no shaving is required at all.

The eBay link I posted for the P3 is the cheapest u'll find it, that seller has sold plenty of them, he's a reliable source I'd say and I've bought from him in the past with no complaints at all. No worries dood, go for it!!!

---------- Post added at 1:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:36 PM ----------

The Picco 28 carb has been updated over the years through out it's production run, those are all old issues and have since been addressed.

I have a LRP Z.28 R spec 3 on my truggy and its a screamer!! Just ordered a fully modded LRP ZR.30X competition from rb mods to run in my ofna ultra gtp. I'm sure I'm gonna have trouble keeping tires on it when it arrives. The LRP engines for the money are a great mill imo.

The picco .28 is by far the best quality engine out of the ones listed, it would be my first choice.

Because that engine is no longer available, it's been replaced but the Picco Boost 5tr. Ofna hasn't been a Picco distributor for awhile now, the new and current North American distributor is Triton RC and they only carry the Boost line up. The Boost 5tr is the 2012 version of the P3, same engine with an updated carb, different cooling head and a turbo button.

I listed that link beacause Absolute Hobbies still has them in stock and they will be covered under warrenty not through Ofna tho lol but more likely Triton. The only way ur gonna get ur hands on a blue head P3 is to find a retailer that still has some in stock as they arn't coming into the country anymore. The Boost 5tr is the current model of the Picco .28 being sold here in Norh America.

the link i posted was to Amain hobbies, they have a pre order button on the right side of the screen.

Thanks guys I will be going with the picco after all