I Have Come Down To A Buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkman07

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have come down to the buggy i want :idea: Its the Hyper 7 PCR. the thing is i dont know if i want the rtr or the Pro. Can someone please tell me wut are the differences between the 2?? I do want to get into racing with it but i dont have a lot of mooney. So suggestions and oppinions are welcome :)

Frank

the only difference is that the pro comes with 2 types of suspension. is that worth the extra money???

Frank

I hope you don't race in Massachusetts, because we already have so many Hyper 7's on the track that you can't tell who's driving what! You got four of them on every race with the same bodies, engines, and wheels.

It's kinda funny. But it's a nice buggy and as soon as these lazy bastards get around to painting new bodies, it'll be cool =)

The pro also does not come with an engine, and is in kit form. The rtr comes with an 8 port, and is already built.

RTR is pretty tough lil ride. Saw one last weekend at the track...

If you shy away from building the kit from the ground up, I would go RTR. The Pro is very frustrating build to say the least... OFNA instructions are very poor.
I love my Ofna Hyper 7 Pro PCR, but if I were to do it over again, I'd probably spend a little more for an MBX5 or Kanai2. Your kinda limited to the stock or OFNA upgrade parts which are either expensive, or hard to find. There's little to no aftermarket support for Ofna buggies. Just a little tidbit for ya... The Ofna PCR is a tough, well built ride though. I've watched my buddies with GS Storms break stuff over & over again during our bash sessions... I am tough on my PCR & have yet to do serious damage...

The Ofna PCR buggy.. is a good buggy.. i dont like the laydown servo.. that is a pain in the a$$ to fix.. and with a RTR.. you will be replacing servos.. and it sux.. trust me on that..

Personally.. i would get the Pro.. so you can build it.. get a OS RG engine.. 063 pipe.. JR XR2 radio.. then you got a good setup.. and a little bit better steering servo..

i kno the diffence between the kit and the buggy, but i dont think it makes sense to pay the extra amount for an engine radio if the only difference is that the pro has 2 types of suspension

ImBroken said:
but if I were to do it over again, I'd probably spend a little more for an MBX5 or Kanai2. QUOTE]

but neither of them come in RTR thats wut i think i want right now because it is cheaper.

Frank

well.. after you upgrade the 2 servos.. and then upgrade the radio system.. all you would be out is the price of the motor.. which you will probably want to buy a new motor anyway.. cuz the 8 port is pretty hard to tune..

but i wont upgrade the engine for a while. i think i might go with the RTR or maybe another buggy if anyone suggests one.

\Frank

Go with the RTR. The other option is the Violator which doesn't hold up as well in upgrades as the Hyper but is a great RTR, fast and the wider stance improves handling. I was running one at the QURC bash last weekend and several people asked me what engine I had in the Violator because it was so fast. Little did they know it was a stock force .26.

I must say that the Force .26 is actually pretty quick. My friend has one in his Violator and once we finally got it tuned right, it is pretty impressive for a stock motor.

The problem with the violator itself seems to lie in it's steering setup. At least with his.. the thing binds so much. I know if I took it apart I'd be able to take a little sandpaper to it and get it set up better but he's not the only one that I've heard from who has steering trouble on the Violator.

Overall though, the Violator seems to be pretty nice, and you can cut down the suspension and put in a standard gas tank to get the buggy race legal. (And the motor, but that's a given.)

I have the Hyper PCR RTR and love the thing. One tough buggy indeed! I installed 2 Hitec servos and my radio and that's it.

There are 4 of them that race at our track. Just this last Tuesday night, there were only 2 buggys still running at the end of the A-Main.....both were Hyper 7 RTR's ! Mine TQ'd and won the A-Main!

Also, not sure if the other guy has carb problems or what but my buggy is VERY easy to tune and runs perfectly every tank!

You need to go over EVERY nut and bolt on the car though...............tough heavy duty buggy but "thrown" together by I suspect young cheap labor!

I really don't think you will go wrong with it :) Just my opinion. Lenny

The force .26 is really easy to tune and start-up as well. Its loud though.

I had a similar steering problem, easy to fix. Its all in setup, you need to put some spacers in the steering mechanism, put in a good servo, adjust the ride height, do a little sanding and your golden.

I love my hyper 7 pbs it was a RTR. I have since upgraded it over time to the pro model thanks mainly to the cost savings of ebay. My LHS doesn't wan't to stock ofna parts right after he sold a bunch of us ofna kits so that sucks. For both him and us we have to wait for parts order from online and he makes no money from that. so product support would be a major decision for future purchases. If you want to race grab the pro version it has a ton of CNC parts Shock towers, Front top plate, center diff cover, front and rear chassis braces and a carbon fiber radio tray not to mention universals all around. its a great buggy

I feel your pain; most of the LHS's around here don't stock GS stuff. A couple do, and they sometimes stock common stuff like suspension arms and gas tanks, so it's not a total loss I guess..

I just keep my eye on ebay and pick up spare parts when I can get them cheap. That way, I'll always have a commonly broken part like a suspension arm available. I don't mind having my own stock of parts, it's very nice actually.

The thing I've noticed about Ofna, is that although a lot of stores carry the parts, there's so many Ofna buggies that it can sometimes be a chore to find the right peice for your particular model. Fortunately, some parts are interchangable, but not all of them.

As long as you can get parts online within a resonable time frame, you should be all set.

I dont really care about availability of parts cause there really isnt a hobby shop by me. So i normally order most of my parts online. BUt they did just open a hobbytown near me so i'll check out what parts they have. But I still think that my choice might be the hyper 7 pcr.

Frank

You can't go wrong with either the Hyper 7 PCR, or the PBS, which is just as good.

Back