I got scammed- counterfeit Oakleys

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So the wife wanted a new pair of Oakleys that she tried on at one of the boutique shops in the mall. They are the Oakley Behave model with polarized lenses. They also cost $230 so I tried to get them for less from ebay. Bid and won them this week and they came in the mail today. Wife called me up when she got the package and was pretty stoked to get them. Unfortunately they didn't fit quite the same as the ones she tried at the mall. Closer inspection revealed that they also did not have the model number printed on of inside of the ear pieces. I got a little suspicious so I went to the mall shop today to see if there were any other differences. A very subtle difference was the "O" on the side was the same color as the rest of the ear piece detail. On the authentic Oakleys the O is a darker tone than the rest of the detail. The fit and finish on the authentic Oakleys were also perfect, no gaps to be seen and hinges open smoothly, unlike the counterfeits. The scary thing is if I wasn't such an anal bastard I probably would not be able to spot them. If someone had bought these glasses on ebay without trying them out in the store first they would never know the difference. I ended up ponying up and bought the wife the pair in the store.

So I'm pretty much 100% sure the ones from ebay are counterfeit. I've contacted the seller to ask for a refund but if they don't respond what recourse do I have? Seller sent package by USPS priority and I paid with paypal credit card.

link to the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270253736968&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

REAL

334368048_sps85-M.jpg

FAKE

334368390_qoe9Z-M.jpg

REAL

334368747_DYxnr-M.jpg

FAKE

334369117_3uphd-M.jpg

Is it possible the guy on Ebay is selling seconds or irregulars? Might explain the slight differences and the lower price.

The bid didnt say anything about them being Authentic oakely's...Contact Paypal and put a claim in there about them being fake. You may have a case against them....I wish you the all the luck

If they were irregulars or seconds I would expect that they would have stated that in the auction. And to be honest even the cosmetic differences wouldn't have bothered me as much as the actual fit of the glasses were very different from the authentic pair.

I would contact Oakley. Right after you file a claim with paypal. They will be able to tell you for sure if they are fake, and they will shut that SOB down way quicker than ebay or paypal, and may file federal charges if they can. They take phony counterfeiting VERY seriously, and I think they will get more done than paypal or ebay, and then you will actually have proof and know for sure if they're fake.

Update: This might be useful, I'll keep digging and see what else I can find.
http://fakeoakleysunglasses.net/

http://search.reviews.ebay.com/_Other_W0QQucatZ79730QQuqtZg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Charlie. After reading a few of the articles it seems Candyman's suggestion of the glasses being a B-stock or irregular is possible. The box they came in and the case and lens bag are identical to the pair bought in store. I guess what it comes down to is I expected a perfect pair of glasses and whether they are B-stock or counterfeit, the seller should have stated so in the auction. I guess the old saying "If it's too good to be true" applies here. :whack:

Deffinatly file a claim with ebay. What will happen is youll end up having to ship them back, provide paypal with the tracking number and once its recieved at there location, youll be refunded. I just went threw all this when I bought a Louis Vuitton wallet for my gf.

they sell the same bootleg oakleys on the market near me for 5 quid a pair.
report that seller asap thats a lot to pay for fakes man.

Contact the ebay / paypal security team (same company now) On the left side of the my ebay page its about 2/3 down on the left. I had a guy sell me a fake sandisk memory card, of course no response but I got a full refund from ebay. Takes a little while but they're good about policing this stuff.

The last time i had an issue with a seller on Ebay, i had to do everything through Paypal because i paid through Paypal . but i got all my money back

GOOD LUCK

I went back and forth on email with the seller and they claim the glasses are real and refuse to give a refund. I went ahead and filed a dispute with Paypal and escalated it to a claim.

Not surprising at all.
Here's an article I just read today in Time.

A French court ruled on June 30 that auction website eBay must pay nearly $63 million to a group of luxury brands, including Louis Vuitton, Dior and Givenchy, after finding that the company wasn't doing enough to deter the sale of fake handbags, perfume and other knockoff goods. Weeks earlier, another French court ordered eBay to pay nearly $32,000 to the luxury retailer Hermes. Meanwhile, in the U.S., eBay awaits a ruling in a similar case brought by jeweler Tiffany & Co.

You want action against the seller and eBay? Let Oakley know what's going on.