Sunglasses

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Anybody else obsessed with protecting their eyes with quality pairs of sunglasses?

I'm not talking about the garbage you can get at the local convenience store.

Ever since I started driving back in the 80's I have been obsessed with sunglasses. This only amplified as I got older and started wearing contact lenses where glare can be an issue.

Back in the 80's and early 90's I wore Vuarnet or Gargoyles. Late 90's and until recently I wore Ray Ban's. Started with the Men in Black style which evolved form the plastic frames to the lighter metal frames I have been using.

Now I have discovered Oakley. I never did like them back in the day, but after trying a pair on at the local mall I was hooked. The don't need to hook around the ears in any way and they won't move even while eating or chewing gum. A huge plus in my book.

In the last month I have picked up a pair of M Frame Hybrids for biking and working around the yard. Half Jackets for driving and finally a pair of Split Jackets for being on the water and biking.

The nice thing about always wearing quality sunglasses is that since I take care of them, I can sell my old pairs of Ray Bans for a good chunk of change.

Here are links to the Oakleys I have. Note that the prices shown are MSRP.

Half Jacket
http://www.oakley.com/products/1146/2371

M Frame Hybrid
http://www.oakley.com/products/2026/5453

Split Jacket
http://www.oakley.com/products/6732/25105

I'm with h8z,I don't wear them. I just never could get used to wearing them,having the frames in my field of vision always bothered me. Tried some that wrap around farther but still didn't like it everyone said I looked like a dork with them on. Don't need glasses for that one :hehe: I do have to wear them occasionally in the winter if there's snow and the sun is shining.

I don't go outside without wearing a pair. The only exception is when it's raining.

All 3 I have wrap around and I don't see them in my field of vision. Crystal clear with zero distortion from all angles.

Back in the day I also wore Gargoyles, and Carreras. I just sold my vintage 22k gold Earnhardt edition Gargolyes about a month ago for $125, and I still have my 80's Carreras. But for quite a few years now all I wear are Oakleys. I have several pairs, two of the larger size M frames, and a pair of Racing Jackets which are my favorite. The were a custom pair, you contact Oakley, tell them the frame color you want, the lens color, and the sleeve color, they build them and send you your new custom glasses. I dont know if they still offer that anymore, but it was too cool. You can see a huge difference in the lenses when wearing Oakleys, vs the gas station cheapies. Now I won't look at anything but Oakley glasses.

I'm never without sunglasses outside. I get to much crap in them without glasses on. I do not wear really expensive ones though because they get trashed too quick for me.

Back in the day I also wore Gargoyles, and Carreras. I just sold my vintage 22k gold Earnhardt edition Gargolyes about a month ago for $125, and I still have my 80's Carreras. But for quite a few years now all I wear are Oakleys. I have several pairs, two of the larger size M frames, and a pair of Racing Jackets which are my favorite. The were a custom pair, you contact Oakley, tell them the frame color you want, the lens color, and the sleeve color, they build them and send you your new custom glasses. I dont know if they still offer that anymore, but it was too cool. You can see a huge difference in the lenses when wearing Oakleys, vs the gas station cheapies. Now I won't look at anything but Oakley glasses.

You can custom order online direct from Oakley. Very cool feature.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Another nice feature of Oakley's. MADE IN THE USA is stamped someplace on all pairs.

You can custom order online direct from Oakley. Very cool feature.

Like I said, I'm not sure if you still can, it was a couple years ago when I ordered my Racing Jackets, but they are still my favorite pair. I have blue eyes, and they are very sensitive to the sun, so good glasses are important to me, I never leave home without them.

On my Jackets, I went with the silver frame, blue irridium lenses and black ear and nose rubbers.

Heres the link, they still do the custom thing. :D

http://www.oakley.com/custom

Damn, I hate you Rob, now I am wanting a new pair of Oakleys :hehe:

i picked up a used pair of oakley gascans a few weeks ago, and i just can't love them. the lenses scratch very easily. I wore glasses for 25 years so i know how to take care of them, and now that I've had lasiks i have wicked bad light sensitivity.

I can't justify spending $100 on glasses, but i got the gascans for $25. the wont stay on my nose, then touch my cheeks when i talk or smile, and I've scratche dthe lenses already...

i want to like oakley, i really do, but these arent working out for me.

Damn, I hate you Rob, now I am wanting a new pair of Oakleys :hehe:

LOL

I have to now stay off their site or I will get yet another pair.

So many different styles to choose from.

I wear prescription glasses and when I go outside they transition to dark lenses in the sun or the snow.
Since that doesn't work when UV light is filtered through glass, I have another pair of prescription glasses that stay in the car.
I think I paid less for my sunglasses than you do for non prescription Oakleys.

No doubt four eyes. :hehe:

I have been wearing contacts for 15 year nows and don't even own a pair of script glasses.

With contacts in though, I do need reading glasses to read anything closer than 12" from my face. Also need them to work on RC's which really pisses me off. This development only started in the last 2 years.

I had a pair for driving, but lost them somewhere.. I think I might have left in the truck I gave to my father to drive while we rip the engine from his van. I think I might look at buying a pair of Oakleys though. Anyone know of a place online to save a few bucks?

Like the really old fart with no pants, I wear prescription glasses and have been using the Transition lenses since day 1. I also have a pair of prescription sunglasses that live on my truck. If only some the nicer sun-glass companies like Oakley would make prescription styles that I like.

A lot of their styles are prescription ready. Since you have to get them from an authorized local dealer though, you will probably be paying big $$ for a pair.

http://www.oakley.com/store/prescription

I'll check into them when I go into town near the local AFB.

I have a $10 pair of chilli Ray-Ban knock offs that i love, and another pair from the dollar store that i wear all of the time. And IMHO i don't see the point in buying sun glasses over $20, because I've found that anything over that i loose within two days or wind up getting broken/scratched. But if one day someone decides to give me a pair of actual Ray-Ban's or Oakleys, i will gladly wear them.

I remember when I was 16 and went rafting down a river wearing a pair of cheap mirrored sunglasses I picked up at the flea market. 5 minuted into the 2.5 hour trip down the river some water splashed into my face and I reached up to swipe the water from the lenses. One of them promptly popped out and over the side of the raft. Seconds later the other lens followed along with the frame at a high rate of speed. LOL

Picked up my first pair of Vuarnets shortly after that trip.

I have very sensitive eyes. I wear my glasses during the day usually even if it's pretty cloudy. I've had a pair of the Maui Jim kapalua that I wear for regular use (work n such) that I've had for about 3 years. Wouldn't trade em for anything. They are so light you forget your wearing them.
http://www.mauijim.com/kapalua-4257.html

And a few pair of costa del mar for fishing. Blue lens for blue water/off shore, brown lens for freshwater/rivers/lakes.

All glasses I own are polarized. Would not wear a pair if they weren't.

I wish contacts were as clear for me as glasses... but they aren't. I used to always be wearing a decent pair of sunglasses... oakly M's, gargoyles, raybans, anarchy, suncloud... By far, my favorites were a pair of anarchy's I picked up in atlanta at the airport of all places. Forgot my oakleys at home.

Now I wear script glasses with a magnet clip... $300. lol Speaking of which, I need a new pair. Been 5 years or so.