Hump packs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Venom is a reputable brand. I'd say get that pack. They are TOTALLY worth it. The servos in your car were designed to run off hump packs. They put out more voltage, therefore increases the power of your servos.

The only downside is, if you forget to charge it, you can't just throw some fresh batteries in and call it done. Once you pull the AA holder out, its kind of a pain to reinstall it.

For that price, I think I may just have to get a few. I am also assuming that I will need some kind of harness/switch for this, with a separate lead for charging the pack. (I said ASSUMING, cause thats how my planes worked. But I'll check that out on my own later).

Just out of curiosity, once I do take the AA holder out, how are the packs usually held in place on the car? Do I need to find some sort of bracket or something? In my smaller planes, they would either have a bracket or be held in by velcro. Larger ones would almost always have a bracket, although sometimes I would just wrap them up in protective foam and shove them in come crevice where they probably wouldn't fall out. (Usually) worked.

This has also got me thinking... I have quite a number of 5+ cell packs left over from those planes, and the ratings for some are the same. Anyone know what type of connector they use on the cars. Most of mine were Futaba "J" type.

On second thought, maybe I should just suck it up and buy the right stuff before I break something... Again.

The connector is a futaba J type. You will need a switch/harness. I suggest you get the traxxas brand harness, not the futaba type. They were out of the traxxas ones when I got mine, and it was an absolute pain to install the futaba. It's a lot thicker than the Traxxas(I'm assuming).

The packs fit inside the battery compartment. Two screws, a little wiggle, and its off.

If they are 5 cell packs in a hump configuration, they should work just fine, as long as they fit inside the compartment.

Get 2 packs and either zip tie or velcro strap it to the front shock tower.
You can use a short extension to plug into the RX and then plug/unplug the pack from there.

You can also get the newer style grey RX box and install the original switch into it and shorten the lead and put male end on it.

Attachments

• 016-1.jpg
    016-1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 171
  • RX Box.jpg
    RX Box.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 139
Get 2 packs and either zip tie or velcro strap it to the front shock tower.
You can use a short extension to plug into the RX and then plug/unplug the pack from there.

You can also get the newer style grey RX box and install the original switch into it and shorten the lead and put male end on it.

Thanks for the pics. That helps me a lot, cause I'm not the most technical person. I don't have the 2.4 (yet ;)), so I guess I'll send up mounting it as you show.

hump packs are definately the way to go. Improved servo response, greater charge life and it kinda sounds cool rolling off the tongue when telling someone your upgrades...especially if they dont know much about RC. "I gotta hump pack" he he he :hehe:

Turns out the guy who runs that ebay auction in the original post also owns a hobby shop. He has a link in the auction. On it, it says that he will beat anyone's price (even his own ebay auctions, apparently), so I tried emailing him my list of what I need, including 2 of the hump packs. I'm curious to see how good his prices are.

Part #3034 is the wiring harness for the tmaxx for the hump pack it's the harness with the on/off switch and the charger jack plug in so you dont have to take your hump pack out every time you charge it.. it will save your holes that the screws that hold the batt box down screw into...

Mines cable tied to the front shock tower prefer it there still doesn't keep the front end down . Have a 5 cell can i get bigger without frying my RX and Servo's

I should be getting my hump pack tomorrow.
I wonder will i notice better throttle responds and better steering.

@mtaylortank - Luckily, I flew all futaba in my planes, so I already had like 3 of the harnesses with the charge jacks/switch, and a ton of extensions should I need them.

Now, I haven't ordered the hump packs, because a new (much more dangerous) idea came into my head. You ready for this?

Hump packs work similar to AA batteries, where each cell is 1.2V. 4 AAs add up to 4.8V, while a 5 cell hump pack runs at 6V (which is about the range the servos can run on - 5-6V). There are three servos on the car, all identical (and as they are stock, pretty weak). I can get the equivalent servos, all brass geared, 353oz that run off 4.8-7.2V for only $11 a piece. They are technically drop-in replacements for the stock ones - and I believe they are a great deal at that price. The biggest difference (besides power)? 7.2V means I can put a 3 cell LiPo battery in the car. Can you say "Tons of power AND crazy long run times?"

Or maybe I'm just crazy. But honestly, the entire setup should, in theory, give me much better steering, much more power, and much longer run-times compared to AAs or regular 6V hump packs, no? Someone prove me wrong fast, before I go and blow something up

Be careful of those cheep high power MG servo's, most are not worth the price of having them shipped.

Got a link to those servo's?

---------- Post added at 7:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:25 AM ----------

it will save your holes that the screws that hold the batt box down screw into...

Mines on the front tower as I pulled the stock battery box & tank out and dropped a Ofna 150cc buggy tank in, in the area were the battery box was.

001.jpg

nice I have a tank of a tower terror fom tower hobby's.. I was wondering what I was going to do... hhhmmmm.. I will probly have pics up in a couple days to show what I figured out..

http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg996r.html

Here is the link to the servo. Despite the price, they are not "cheap" per se. I've used them in planes (got them from my father originally) and I know a number of other people who have as well. They work great and are durable as hell.

So is there any reason why that wouldn't work? Anyone?

That's cool, there's a bunch floatin around flebay that aint worth the cost of shipping them and didn't want to see ya get burned by them.

---------- Post added at 9:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:13 AM ----------

nice I have a tank of a tower terror fom tower hobby's.. I was wondering what I was going to do... hhhmmmm.. I will probly have pics up in a couple days to show what I figured out..

You mean the pro~line run time tank? They are worse than the stock tank for the 1/2 tank lean issue's.

Back