Humming Bird problem............

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToRqUe

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got a humming bird 4 x-mas and it had a Century mixer/gyro and a lexors reciever. I can't get ch.3 wires right becase it only has 1 prong(or whatever you call it) but the rest have 3. i looked through all the books thay it came w/ buttin nuttin tell me how 2 hook it up. PLEASE HELP.........

Look to see what color the wire is. Plug it in with the wire color matching up with whats on another plug with the same color wire in the same position. You have only 2 choices. If not you have a 50-50 chance. Just guess, then do the exact opposite of what you were going to do to increase your odds to 60-40

Does that sound right?

I tried ever spot i could but the motors still wont turn. The connections are 3-prong so it is more like a 33.3% lol

OK, i got everthing working bt...there is no lift.....I'm hopping it is the battery. I go out of town tomorrowa nd I'm really hopeing i can get it running by 4 am.

Batt on the charger??? I can't wait to fly my heli

Help !!!

Everything is working great except i can't get any lift (battier is fully charged) and i think i know why,the head ( the thing that has all the 4 blades) it is loose that little section isnt connected 2 anything else sxcepted by the shaft that runs down the middle. It wobbles all the time. I dont know how 2 fix it and i can't see where anything broke off or if I'm juist missing a piece. Everthing looks like its great until i turn it on and i starts 2 virbrate(do 2 the wobbeling of the head) and the very slow rudder which i can't fix either. I leave in 2 and a half hours if any1 is out there PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Why didnt i just stick 2 nitro RC ??? :shrug:

Last edited:
I'm not sure.....the part where all the 4 blades are held together/

The Rotor Head.
I see it's brand new. Don't fight it. Just take it back, and have the store check it out for you or give you a new one.
Since there's already a problem with it, and you try to fly it and you break something, then you're stuck with it.

Rolex has a good idea. Let a pro look at it.
But if you choose not to, here are a few little things.
I am going to assume you have a fixed pitch heli...
First, the head (the topmost part which the 2 main blades are bolted to) should wobble back and forth along the long axis. That's ok. Also, the blades should be slightly loose. That allows them to align themselves when the head spools up.
One thing to look for is the orientation of the flybar paddles. That's the 2 smaller blades under the main ones. They should be flat. It's easiest to align those by sighting down from the end and make sure the angle of the paddles is the same as the angle of the swashplate. The swashplate is the thing with 4 prongs coming off it that the servos hook to which in turn hook to the blades. If they are tilted down, they will create negative lift and will keep it on the ground. But don't tilt them up as it will create a lot of drag and you may not generate enough head speed to lift the bird. You may find that you will have to go past 1/2 throttle to get the bird light on it's skids. Don't worry about that. Just don't gun the throttle or it will spring up off the ground and into God knows what.
As far as the tail goes, that will take some dialing in. You can create more tail action as needed by either adjusting the tail trim on the tx or increasing the gyro gain. I'd work with the trim for now.
If you're still having trouble, there are a few good resources on the web for getting some info. I usually look at www.runryder.com or the heli forums on RC Universe.

Could there be any way possible that the blades are on backwords ??? I put my hand over the blades and i feel air pushing up but if I put my hands under i only feel alittle bit of air.....

That's possible. Either that or the motor is running backwards. The blades should be installed so the curve of the blade goes up. And if I remember correctly, the head should rotate clockwise when looking down from the top.

Sry everbody 4 wasteing your time. I said before i was a newbie to microheli' and this just proved it. After what Candyman said really got me thinkin' i put my heli on the floor and brought it up 2 full throttle and put my hand under neither it and i couldnt push it up (i could but u know what i mean) It was turnning reversed, so is sat down and was think an all i had 2 do was flip the connection where the motor connected 2 the gyor/mixer. I did the same w/ the tail rotor and know it will actually fly. I can't hoover yet but i know everthing is workin right and turnning correctely. Thankz again Candyman. :)

Last edited:
Hey, I'm glad you got it flying. It's easy to reverse the polarity on the motor. Those mixing boards aren't marked all that great sometimes. It's good to hear that it's going. Now comes the tough part. My advice is not to try to hover near anything. They look all cool flying indoors, but I have countless scratches on my furniture to show for it....

Know 1 more question sometimes it tips right and other times it tips left.....could these be becasue I'm just learning or is somethi' wrong ???

I guess it depends. Heli's like that have a tendency to drift left when they lift off. Also, you'll notice that a heli is what I call "slippery". Once it starts in a direction, it will drift in that direction even if you return your controls to neutral. So if you give it a little right aileron which move the bird right, it will still go right even if you take your finger off the stick. You have to give it a little left to counteract the right. It's not easy. I've found that it's best to concentrate on making small movements. If you push a stick all the way to one side, you'll most likely crash. So go easy. And if you don't already have one, look into a flight simulator. They will help get your thumbs and eyes trained without breaking hundreds of dollars worth of chopper.

My tail rotor spins way 2 slow. I tried the trim and I'm goin 2 try mounting the gyro upside down(troubleshooting manuel)....is there anything else i could do. Iwas think about :hammer: it but i said naw i will come back 2 this helpful site.

These helicopters are fun but the take alot of work and patience...

Last edited:
Setup is a killer. Try adjusting the trim on your transmitter. If it's not giving enough thrust to couteract the main rotor torque, you may have to add a bunch of left trim to your tail channel. That might just pick it up a bit. Do that if you notice the tail swinging to the left when you start to increase the main throttle...

When i stand behind the heli' the tail spins out 2 the right, and how do i add more trim it is all the way 2 the max already...

If the tail spins to the right when you throttle up, add more right trim. If you can't do that, increase the gyro gain and see if that helps. If not, decrease the gain and try it again.

Back