How is water kept out?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polarisman_20

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a question. I just aquired about 6 boats and 4 of them are nitro. As I was looking at them, I noticed that there are no air cleaners on them, and i was wondering how water is kept out of the carbs? These boats are running verticle outboard engines btw. Thanks

pics

not mine but very similar. I just can't see running it without a filter!

Attachments

• nitro-outboard.jpg
    nitro-outboard.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 160
I'm GUESSING but don't quote me as its the only thing that i can think off

Mabey the filter is built into the engine somehow :S
it would make sense because if you look at a ordinary outboard motor in a boat there is no air filter for that as well then again I'm not 100% sure how a boat engine works.

Ill ask my dad in the morning he worked as a boat mechanic for a short period of time at out local marine shop and get back to you

When you are cooking across the water at a good pace the water spray is all going aft of the boat. The only times I ran in to a problem is cutting too hard and throwing up a wall of water that covers the whole boat.....then the carb got wet. The way the carb faces most water spray from head on will go over the top of the engine missing the carb. My swamp boat, I have a oiled filter on it because of grass can get chopped up by the prop and sucked in.

That seems more logical than my guess but hey can't say i didnt try and i did say it was only a guess

can u post pics of the actual boat.. I'm interested in getting a boat and want to see a few of the different models :)

Sure trying is all ya can do sometimes.... also I have pictures of the swamper in my profile, there is a folder called Joe's RC crap.

i still think there would need to be SOMETHING to stop the water from getting in i mean water in the carb means dead engine... well at least untill u dry it out and get it going again and burn it all out but still :S

seems like there has to be some kind of solution

i know nothing about marine nitros, but maybe make some kind of hood?

You don't run air cleaners on boats. There is no dust on top of the water if you know what I mean. The only real time you need a cleaner is a water cleaner for the cooling head if your running somewhere there is a lot of weeds or dirty water