Highest quality nitro 4wd rc truck for $600 rtr.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reccomend the 1/10 Team Associated MGT 8.0 MT or step it up with the 1/8 MGT 4.6 MT.

You mean the 1/10 3.0? The 8.0 is the big beast, an upgraded 4.6.

I have a 3.0, nice little truck. But they're discontinued, and there's not a ton of aftermarket support (basically just Integy). Not that they really need it, as they're pretty solid, but I probably wouldn't have mine if I hadn't scored it for $100 in VG condition, needing only radio and a shock.

cc9a6945-7a25-49ec-a1d2-628f540cddf0_zps2ec9127d.jpg

In stock form, it handles better than a T-Maxx. But the T-Maxx is a mister potato head, one of the most upgradeable/alterable kits out there, can be tailored.

In short, if you can score a mini MGT for a good price, you won't regret it. But in the limited market of 1/10 nitro MTs, the Maxx is certainly a better choice if you'll want to upgrade/tinker. The Maxx can be made to be tougher and handle better (not cheaply, of course)

The 8.0 is a different story, though; still in production, well supported in the aftermarket, and a beast of a truck. While the Revo is the best handling MT overall, I'd say the MGT 4.6/8.0 are the best handling 1/8 MT.

Last edited:
Yeah my apologies on the incorrect information.

Man....I cannot believe how many people feel that the Savage is so durable. I absolutely LOVE mine, and yes I do have it straight-up beasting now but it took quite a bit of work on my part to determine/test out the common points of failures and how to best mitigate them--least based on what I expect from it and that is to be fast, nimble and above all durable.

Of course I could have very easily thrown a bunch of uneeded aluminum crap on it and called it a day, but 1) metal vs composite is not always a durability upgrade, 2) handling is not a MT's forte but getting my Savage to handle itself on its given terrain was much easier to do than getting it durable. I was shocked at what a freaking wimp it was---that's just the truth. I understand that durable is subjective, and I'm not the type who gets silly and tries to jump over houses (okay, I've jumped over fences) nor run it into a brick wall, etc. However, I do expect it to handle itself off-road at hgh speeds, jumping, flipping, all that great stuff without breaking!

In all candor, when I hear people state how the Savage is built like a brick (and I hear that a LOT)....it makes me nervous as hell to get a Traxxas. I know a LOT of guys who own both and they tell me it's not even a contest and some have told me Traxxas is just a step up from RedCat/Exceed. And you know what? That is fine...ever brand has it's place, but that sucks as I really want a stadium truck. ;-)

When my vehicles break I'm like "Oh, hell no" and do everything I can do ensure it simply never, ever happens again. I mean it drives me insane as I simply can't have it. My Mugen has YET to break a single part (I've only ripped two shock boots and slightly bent a stand-off) and I assure you it's been crashed sideways to Sunday. It took me a month to build because I poured over the design to ensure it would handle ANYTHING...that was time well-spent.l That and the Hyper 7 are freakishly durable and don't expect every vehicle out of the box to be without fauilts

I recommend the Savage merely because I know for a fact you can make it fast, agile, and durable. But if its durability surpasses any other mid-market nitro vehicle....to the OP, I'd stay away from those at all costs. Just my 2 cents.

Really! I wouldn't even think about putting redcat and Exceed even close to Traxxas that's crazy! If you want the best handling box stock MT go Revo. With some work the MGT handles grade also.

Yeah, I have heard that Revo handles great. I know an guy who used to race MTs back in the day and he told me nothing can touch it for handling... I believe him. Of course stock is stock right? It's potential that is important to me. I guess one way to look at it: is it easier/less expensive/more fun to make a Savage handle like a Revo, or a Revo durable like a Savage. I don't know, but those are things I consider.

And yep....I've read MULTIPLE times, and have good friends who own(ed) Traxxas tell me it's the step after RedCat/Exceed, but not in the same class as mid-markets (OFNA, HPI, etc.) That has been what's made me tentative in getting a Traxxas. Guys who own them and own some of the things I have. They tell me it will frustrate me because it's over-priced and really nothing special and it's potential is not high. Okay, I joke with my Traxxas friends on that but I know guys I really respect in this hobby who own one and they have in all seriousness told me to stay away (perhaps I expect too much...I don't know, they won't come out and say it). I DO want a stadium truck, however, so if anyone can recommend one--a nitro of course, let me know. I'm REALLY trying to limit the # of vehicles I have as my hands are full as it is so am being extremely prudent. Serpent 811-T and Xray XB8 definitely on my radar the next six months and Jato is only other I'm even considering. Hey, if you like big-bad machines that handles well, you should seriously consider a truggy. Have you owned one or thought about getting one? They are legit.

I had a 2.5 taxxas jato second hand back in the day. Loved it, but I broke it alot.

Back