Help with Tyre Classification

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter K

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Anyone out thre help me with Tyre classification XTR, M2, M3 - these are grades I guess, but what do they mean ? Hard, swoft, durability. Please help. PK:surrender

They are all different rubber compounds used by Proline in their tires. The order you have them listed in goes from hardest to softest and from longest wearing to shortest.

Thanks !

Thanks very much for the tyre info ! Much appreciated.

not always true on tire wear. I've had M3 compounds, or soft compounds in Panther tires last longer than M2's or Medium Soft. It really depends on the track surface and how hard/packed it is, blue grooved or type of dirt/clay.

not always true on tire wear. I've had M3 compounds, or soft compounds in Panther tires last longer than M2's or Medium Soft. It really depends on the track surface and how hard/packed it is, blue grooved or type of dirt/clay.

Great point. I have found that the track surface has more to do with wear than anything else. I have a pair of M3 Holeshots on my T4 that show almost no wear after a full season at the local track. Of course my track is far from blue groove, and is usually dry and dusty. My point is that you often pick your compound based on your track type and condition, and track condition has alot to do with how a tire wears. Just my two cents.

Tom

harder the surface the harder the tire you want, usually, not always a set in stone rule but it's a starting point.

harder the surface the harder the tire you want, usually, not always a set in stone rule but it's a starting point.

Depends on the surface type. If the surface is such that the tread blocks can get a good bite, then that holds true. However, running harder tires on a hard track that is really smooth and blue grooved...good luck with that one. Soft fuzzies or even fairly soft slicks end up being the order of the day there. At the same time a really soft, sandy or loamy track is going to depend more on tread pattern than compound as well. Those tracks tend to be fairly kind to tires in relation to wear.

Ok re-read my statement, "usually, not always set in stone but a good starting point". I ran clay compound switches on a hard pack blue groove this weekend. It was the best tire I ran out of four qualifiers, 2 of which I ran M3 Holeshots or Soft Compound Switches. At buggy nats I ran Soft Gators on hard packed blue groove and they were the best of the weekend. BTW, I'm referring to 1/8th and Arena Truck. I've probably got over $2K invested in rubber just for my scale.

I'll also add that at the buggy nats in the A Main, Gosch was running M2 Bowtie's on hard packed blue groove and I think Drake was on XTR Bowtie's.

Back