Help, Truck won't move and smokes packs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fr8train6513

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
A friend of mine has an E-maxx, a while agoe it got wet. He dried everything out and now it won't move and burns up the battery packs. Any ideas on what is the problem. I told him probably the ESC, but I'm a nitro guy and could be wrong. The receiver gets power and the steering works, but the motors do not move when the trigger is pulled. Also there is a humming noise coming from the area of the ESC...any help is great thanks

Sounds like a complete short somehwere, probably the ESC, more than likely caused by corrosion from the water.

I'll bet he never opened up the receiver to let it dry out. Water gets inside, and has no way of drying out. It condenses in there, leaving little droplets over everything. Open the receiver, and you'll see it is damp. Either blow it off with an air hose, or just let it sit opened overnight to dry out.
You also need to do the same with the ESC. Open it and let it dry out. Hopefully you didn't do any permanent damage by trying to run it while it was still wet in there.
Keep us posted.
Even if you think it's only the ESC, do it with both, to be on the safe side.

thanks for all the suggestion and hopefully my friend can get his maxx running again

He might check to see if the ESC is putting out voltage to the motor. If it is, then maybe there is something in the drive system that is rusted or binding. At the least pull the motor and turn everything on and see if it spins when given throttle.

Simple, the esc is shorted by moisture. Water is an excellent conductor

Actually..water is a piss poor conductor of electricity. It's the minerals and contaminants in the water that make it electrically conductive. Pure, distilled water is actually a really good insulator. Similar to wood in insulating capabilities.

ON TOPIC:

The ESC is more than likely popped the cork on the smoke bottle. Most likely, it corroded a FET and/or glazed the board. The puffing battery packs are most likely caused by the FET short, which when shorted, causes the FET gate to reverse and divert power back to the source, effectively making a complete + to - connection, with very little resistance, to the battery. Isn't electricity fun?

Usually, when the battery gets too warm and the truck won't move it's usually the ESC that took a dump. I agree with destrucktomaxx about thewater's mineral content doing the damage. I would recommend that your friend should go ahead and replace the ESC. They aren't too terribly expensive.

after 5 years i REALLY hope he got it fixed by now.....

Back