HELP!! Glueing tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was taking some "air photos" of my Matt Francis and when over-revving the back tires, they started to come apart! I had perfectly prepared with a wire brush dremmel, the rim and bead, and put slow-cure CA on both the rim and bead on the tire, then compressed with a rubber band overnight..... Or so I thought.

I JUST started building a JAMMIN TRUGGY KIT and I do not want to have this problems with those monster, heavy rotating massive tires.

You guys run into this, or am I just gluing tires wrong? I was thinking maybe trying a windshield urethane glue? Really need some high tech help here :doc:

Well here's come tips for you. Depending on tire and wheel combo this will work better for you. First off, since the Jammin has a unique offset you can run another wheel by cutting the back of the wheel to the inner bead. Then glue the tire to the inner bead. This works best with the Proline Bow Tie's or Crime Fighters. It keeps the tire from ballooning as bad and also helps prevent the tire from rolling over. Here's something else, ballooning is usually referred to as diffing out. In the case of a truggy, you can go up a little on your center dif fluid, this will send more power to the rear as in the case with a truggy it's usually the fronts that blow out the worst. When glueing, use a medium set CA, I've never had problems with it and look for one that is more for tires than just a CA for glueing plastics. Place a drop of glue in the bead every 2 hours around the wheel. Cappilary action will draw the glue around the rim. HTH

also when I bought my CA glue it was specifically for glueing tires and it actually had rubber in it and was black, the slight flex made it work better for me since it wasn't as brittle

DUct tape your tires on teh inside to give them a lil more true shape....stops em from balloning too easy.....Jet's got the right idea on fixing the issue with you're truggy tires balloning too easily as well.....I'm not sure what to change on stadium trucks to help but the tape inside does ALOT to keep em in shape......

Does anyone have a link to some of this black CA glue for tires? I'm not finding it online or on ebay.

I think I've got the tire-glueing process nailed now though. I took a small stone wheel on the dremel, and scuffed the rubber bead (removing the flashing edge too), and scuffed the bead on the plastic wheel. Then cleaned both, with thinner or alcohol. Instead of trying to put the CA UNDER the bead, I just pulled the seated bead back a little and put it on the outer edge, letting the THIN CA wick underneath. Seems to work great, they haven't come apart yet, but the bead is hardened by the glue. The CA I used is Losi# A-7881 formulated for glueing tires.

I'm wondering if the rubberized CA, if it stays flexible, wouldn't have a higher viscosity, and not wick under as well, but I'd still like to try it.

Cool. Thanks. I've ordered some.

Plaidfish said:
did you duct tape the insides of your tires?

I banded the tires on my CRT with packing tape... the clear tape with the thread running through it, and along with running a thicker center diff oil have had no problems "diffing out" and the tire does hold its shape much better.

Tom

i have a hot bodies ligtning staduim i use super glue, i just put the glue around the edge of the tires.

I've been thinking about getting a set of bead locks and calling it good. I guess I'm kind of lazy that way.:llama:

Back