Gun Control???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
It's kinda sad but read if you wish:

On 30 Aug, Bill's son, Steve, was killed at his mother's house in Savannah. He and a friend were "playing" with a pistol and a rifle. His friend accidentally hit Steve in the chest hitting a main artery.
Do only rednecks play with guns in the house?

A friend of mine was blown away by a gun when we were kids (not gang related like the rest I knew). The father was a cop to boot. In my honest opinion, the reason this poop happens is because they arent TAUGHT the RIGHT and WRONG of firearms. You can ask any of my kids the basic fundamental rules of rifles/pistols and each one will tell you the way it is. Without fail, every time.

Education is key - Gun Control is an easy way out of education. If they want my firearms, let them come and try to take them!

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
A friend of mine was blown away by a gun when we were kids (not gang related like the rest I knew). The father was a cop to boot. In my honest opinion, the reason this poop happens is because they arent TAUGHT the RIGHT and WRONG of firearms. You can ask any of my kids the basic fundamental rules of rifles/pistols and each one will tell you the way it is. Without fail, every time.

Education is key - Gun Control is an easy way out of education. If they want my firearms, let them come and try to take them!

Here Here!

www.nra.org

This is a touchy subject amongst many people here in the USA, but i cannot really see where there is any question. The Constitution of the United States of America clearly states that any US citizen has the right to own and operate a gun. Period. Thats it. It doesn't say he has the right to have gun, unless......

There is NO unless! Should there be rules and regulations on how people store guns? YES! Should there be a minimum age before you can use a gun? YES! Should parents be punished if they did not properly follow these rules? YES! Should there be any controls on who can and can't own a gun? Unless you are a convicted felon, then anyone should be able to own whatever gun they choose. Again, there is no except clause in the Constitution. It doesn't say "right to bear arms unless its an assult rifle" It says "right to bear arms" period. Thats it.

I always thought gun control was trying not to shake while aiming.... OK. Probably a bad time for a joke.

This is like a lot of other things when dealing with children. They need to be taught. We as parents need to let them know that there are right things and wrong things. I look around and see so many parents just ignoring their responsibility. We look at situations like Columbine and wonder what happened to those kids. I say where were the parents? When we have kids, they're not like pets, people!!! You don't just feed and water them and let them run free. Our kids become small versions of ourselves. If we are negligent and uncaring, so shall they be. In extremes like we're talking about, the value of human life means nothing to these kids because no one ever showed them how valuable it is. And as far as kids accidentally shooting other kids, well again, where are the parents? Where is the education? If I were to have a gun in my house, I would make sure my kids knew exactly what a gun is capable of. And they would know that they never use a gun like a toy. But for most of that, it's just common sense. Unfortuantely, there are a disproportionate amout of adults who lack that...

I truly believe and it was imposed on me when I was growing up, never point a gun at anything you do not want to shoot. Period. All stop. End of statement. If everyone followed that simple rule no one would accidently get shot.

Another rules that's almost as important, always ASSofUandME that the gun you are holding is loaded and treat it accordingly.

I am 16 and i was always told it was bad to touch a gun and that it could kill u. so i never have held a "real gun" i have shot a bb gun many times. i think that parents sould raise there kids the right way instead of letting them run around but this is just my idea. i sort of wish every one was raised the same way as me lol

Gun control is some idiots poor excuse to help with crime. I feel the law is not stiff enough for someone who abuses their right to bear arms.

When I was 10 I had been tought by my parents, and grandparents what a gun was, how to use it, how to clean it, and what not to do with it. I could lay down a clip of 22's on a turtle 50 yeards away with a Colt Woddsmaster semi auto (and get a hell of a group). I was shooting 357 magnums by the age of 13. And sniping groundhogs at 400+ yards later with highpowered rifles. My Grandfather fed himself and his family in Nebraska during the Depression (1930's for anyone that hasn't heard of it), but using firearms. I have a carry permit, but I don't pack on a regular basis. Guns, yeah I've got em. Did I kill classmates when I was in school? No. Would I teach my kids (if and when I ever have any) the way I was tought? Yes. Are guns good? Sometimes. Are they bad? sometimes. It's not the guns fault, ever. Without some human entervention (or lack thereof) guns will never cause harm. It's thru malice, carelessness, ignorance, greed, and other HUMAN things that guns ends up causing harm.

If someone wanted to hurt, rob, or otherwise cause trouble, who's to stop them from using a knife (can you say 9/11 skyjacking), or how about a baseball bat (gonna have to enforce some control over sporting goods stores now, 30 day waiting period), or how about machetties and other lawn equipment (can you say SLINGBLADE)? There is NOTHING in the Constitution protecting our right to play baseball, mow our lawns or cut a juicy steak. Persuit of happiness my butt, we have to protect our kids, make them play soccer with a nice blunt ball.

My cousins were raised to fear guns. You know what I call them. Victims. That's right, victims. Oh God, he's got a gun, here kill me I fear guns. People without guns are victims waiting to happen. If you don't believe me, well, there are a number of examles I could bring up but you get my point (or at least I hope you do).

Originally posted by mcvickj
Gun control is some idiots poor excuse to help with crime. I feel the law is not stiff enough for someone who abuses their right to bear arms.
While I mostly agree with what you are saying I think that is a great idea to a certain extent.

SCENARIO:
If a child, this is mainly about children accidentally killing themselves or others, is accidently killed as a result of a home firearm.

1. Parent, or someone within the household did willingly let the child play with the gun or somewhere along those lines, the right to bear arms is gone for the owner of the gun.

2. If someone, who does not have children has a freind or relative visiting with their parents and the child finds a gun that the owner of thinks nothing about leaving it anywhere aside from the bedside (or some other place that seems logical to the individual owner) forgets to put the gun out of reach of a child and someone is killed as a result, maybe loss of right to bear arms. I mean think about it would someone that's born and raised around guns that has no children really think about what a child can and can't do when the child is visiting with their parents? Probably not.

3. If the owner of the gun does not own it in accordance with local or federal laws, GONE!!! It should be said within reason, say if the law states that within 7 calender days it must be registered and the owner has not past that period, but this again is in accordance with the law.

4. If the owner of the gun does what they are supposed to do, IE lock box or some other method of safety of the weapon, yet somehow beyond their control the gun comes out and kills someone then I think it really depends on the circumstances and the method how they chose to render the weapon safe from children or others.

I have a buddy who's married without kids and when my daughter and I come over to visit he runs to his bedroom and moves his weapons into a probably safe location from my daughter but we still keep an eye on her and if she goes to or near to his bedroom we keep her out.

Sorry for rambling but in a lot of ways I do agree that at times the owner or supervisor of the child should be held at fault for the death of someone else, however at others I feel they did what they were supposed to do.

Since were all giving our opinions...

I tend to agree with ALL of you. YES there should be laws that protect idiots and the mentally unstable from harming themselves and others. YES there should be VERY stiff penalties if a gun law or regulation has been broken. YES there should be mandatory gun safety testing before issueing permits. If you commit a felony your right has been revoked PERIOD! NO, There is no reason in the United states at this time that any civilain needs a fully automatic assault rifle. BUT, there shouldnt be any reason I can't have a semi-auto.

The second amendment is very simple, clear language:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Nuff said!!! Now wheres my bazooka? I feel like shootin some squirells. Is it 420 yet?

Originally posted by robriguez
Nuff said!!! Now wheres my bazooka? I feel like shootin some squirells. Is it 420 yet?

This has to be the best line I have read on RCNT in a while. I busted out laughing. I think the mental picture really helped.

Originally posted by robriguez
NO, There is no reason in the United states at this time that any civilain needs a fully automatic assault rifle.

Maybe no need other than to busta buncha caps. Any civilian can own a fully automatic weapon. All it takes is a really thurough background check, and you can apply for and get a Class 3 firearm license. This license covers owning and operating full auto weapons, silenced weapons and the production of said weapons, legally. Needless to say, the process is lengthy and expensive, but civilians can do it. What red blooded american groundhog hunter wouldn't want to throw down on a whistle pig with an M-2 50cal with a belt of tracers.

You can thank the '30's gangsters for getting the full autos banned from the shelves. At one time, anyone could mailorder a full auto tompson with a carry bag and a 50 round drum mag.

Ill take an M-60 to put next to my AR-15 (pre-ban) and an M-203 Grenade launcher to go on the bottom. Thank you!

Ok I agree with alot of you actually probably all of you if i went through it again but I'm not gonna read that much again..... I am 14 I am Kinda like Error from the moment I ever saw a gun I was taught to:
1. Check to see if it was loaded
2. If it is Loaded put it back where i got it
3. if it isn't still treat it with great care not to aim it at anything etc..
4. I would be beaten if I did not do any of this stuff....
5. I also was taught how to clean a gun. and to properly handle them

I have (in my possesion) a .270 winchester hunting rifle a semi-auto .22 and a .22/.22mag pistol I keep a .357 mag in my Nightstand drawer (unloaded but shells in easy reach) for protection.....

all in all we have 13 operational guns in our house and we are safe with all of them... We always keep my parents bedroom and My bedroom door shut when Younger kids are here and the guns NEVER come out without parental supervision.........

I find shooting a fun and relaxing activity as LONG as the proper safety precautions are put into affect............

14 with a .357 in the nightsand.....

Anyone see an issue?

Nope, I got a fully loaded Mauser .380 on my nightstand. But my prefered weapon is a 1900 sweedish M-38 boltgun with the blade on the end. Which brings up a question. If someone got in my house, and I had that rifle, and gave 'em a little rib tickle with that 12" shiny blade on the end, would that be a felonious use of a firearm? Man, there's nothin like giving someone the "get your ass off my bayonet" boot.

EP, I agree with all of your points. I may have not made that obvious, but remember what I said about what people don't do that results in the unfortunate harm to the little folks. Anytime that happens it is tragic, and someone must be held accountable.

No, not at all actually. Both my cousins were rasied around guns. One had 3 rifles and a revolver by the time he was 12. I see nothing wrong with a responsible, mature, knowledgeble in gun handling safety 14 year old having a gun at all. Neither of them have ever used a firearm in any dangerous or careless way at all at any time in their lives. They were taught the right way. They were held accountable for anything and everything that happened while the firearm was in their possession. If one of them did ANYTHING even resembling something careless they were punished and taught the seriousness of gun saftey.

I on the other hand, the knucklehead of the family, constantly taunted them to try to get MY hands on their guns to "Blow poop up" as I used to say. It was VERY smart of my parents NOT to allow me to have a gun at that age.

It basically comes down to the responsibility level.

Sorry, but a 14 year old shouldnt have a 357 pistol in his nightstand. Not today.

I would however endorse a shotgun. Not like they can carry that out of the house in their coat.

I watched "Bowling for Columbine" this past weekend. It was a riveting documentary by Michael Moore. Has anybody seen it? The statistics blew me away.

I think Michael Moore edited this to his advantage. I'm not quite sure why peepee Clark and Charlton Heston reacted the way they did in the interviews but I don't believe they were in the wrong, either.

Rent it.