GS Storm buggy rtr or ofna buggies?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mxboy100 said:
Which is the hot new car?
(Whats the new sweet racer nowadays, been a while since I've looked at buggies)
For ofna i was lookin at maybe the Jammin.
Which one is the fast racer yet durable buggy?

IMO, buggyes in the last few years have been sort of "fad-ish". The "GS Storm Rocks! Woohoo!" Everyone runs over the GS camp. Then someone points in the other direction and shouts: "Look Mugen has a new buggy!" then someone else shouts "The MBX5 Rocks!" So Everyone runs over to the Mugen camp. Then someone else says: "Look at the new Hyper 7! The Hyper 7 with the lay down servo rocks!" so they all run over to the OFNA camp. And then it's like "Woah! Kyosho has a new buggy! The MP 777 Rocks!" ...

So are you asking which camp is everyone currently at? To me it seems like the XRay XB8 has the spotlight... for now...

Also, all the "sweet racers" (to me) are kits. You didn't seem to mention any kits in your first post. I don't keep on top of the RTR stuff, but I've seen that Hyper 7 PBS RTR thing with the starter box and it seems alright. Only real problem I saw was it vibrating apart from the factory cause they didn't tighten stuff down.

Good Luck pickin a buggy. Be warned that they will cost you a lot of money in the end. :D

I'm obviously biased to the Storm (see my thread on the hopped up storm!) but I think that it's logevity is a testiment of it's overall sound design and durability. While it's true that there's been new innovation in 1/8th scale buggies since the Storms' inception, it doesn't mean the Storm still can't hang with the big boys. When I look at a Storm Pro against a K3 or MBX5, I see a lot of pros and cons between all three. The reason you don't see many Storms on the big events is because GS just doesn't sponser many drivers.

If you went with a Storm, make sure you get a few of the required hop-ups, and you'll be as happy with it as anything else. Parts are easy to find online, while being fairly priced compared to a Kyosho buggy. Most hobby shops seem to carry at least some GS Storm parts as well. (Mugen parts also seem to be fairly priced from what I've seen.)

If you have any questions about the Storm, there's plenty of help to be provided here on this forum as well; from me and other longer term Storm owners.

This is not to say you shouldn't go with any other buggy, there's a lot of great ones and the Hyper is a good ride. But just because the Storm has been around for a few years, doesn't mean it's not competitive!

I'm looking forward to checking out the CL-1 as soon as parts become available for it.

bigfreak......I like your observation. I know I've said it before about who's who in the zoo. Lots of folks jump from one bandwagon to another. Aside from minor differences, they're all pretty much the same in design and structure. Heck, I swear some parts of a mugen will fit a storm. So, what makes one better than another ? For me it's quality and availability. Quality in stock form because we all know we can aftermarket the crap out of anything and make it nearly bulletproof. And availability. What good does it do me when I have some ride that's stupid fast, parts made out of unobtanium and can run 2 hours on one tank of fuel if I can't get that one piece that makes it all work together. Sorry, got off on a rant there. I have a Storm that started out a RTR but through many upgrades and changes has become a thing of beauty. It's got more Titanium than a Russian sub. Expensive ? Of course. How many of us have that story to tell? Does it make me a better driver. Probably not, but that's not why I upgrade. It's a hobby and I gave up a long time ago trying to define or set limits. I do what makes me happy. So, get a buggy, any buggy and have fun with it.

Hey I'm going down the same road... I have found for ME the best choice will be the hobao (ofna) hyper 7 pbs rtr. Found here www.donaldshobby.com for only 389! it may also be the best choice for you to. I have seen them run and have found them to be extreamly durable. Well i hope you find whats best for YOU :cheers:

militarymaxx said:
unobtanium

Is that the stuff GS got out of the NASA dumpster???????? :jk:

Hypedonrc said:
Is that the stuff GS got out of the NASA dumpster???????? :jk:
You mean the gs parts that were obtained on the korean black market in exchange for top secret schematics to a new nuke code named "blazer"? lmao

That's true you know! At least, that's what one person on this forum thought.. (not me.)

Back