Good 2s shorty lipos for 4x4 race buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
My uncles lipos are not in good condition and I am looking to get him new ones. He has been running SMC 2s shorty packs with 5mm bullets in his 2017 xray xb4. I found the same lipo on BeachRC but out of stock. It looks like SMC discontinued them. I am just seeing what are good shorty lipos. I know Protek has them. There are a few other brands like Spektrum, Hoovo and Ovonic. Looking for a 2s shorty pack, with 5mm bullets. I think his batteries are 5200 mah but he probably wants above 5200 for more run time. If needed I can always get him a shorty pack with a certain connecter but he would have to make either an adapter or solder on a connecter.

Last edited:
My uncles lipos are not in good condition and I am looking to get him new ones. He has been running SMC 2s shorty packs with 5mm bullets in his 2017 xray xb4. I found the same lipo on BeachRC but out of stock. It looks like SMC discontinued them. I am just seeing what are good shorty lipos. I know Protek has them. There are a few other brands like Spektrum, Hoovo and Ovonic. Looking for a 2s shorty pack, with 5mm bullets. I think his batteries are 5200 mah but he probably wants above 5200 for more run time. If needed I can always get him a shorty pack with a certain connecter but he would have to make either an adapter or solder on a connecter.
What is his price range for lipos? What are the maximum dimentions that his kit can hold for a battery?

I'm not sure about the dimensions. It does not say in the manual. I also tried to find the dimensions of the battery strap too. I don't know his price range but my price range is any where between $50 and $85/90. I don't want to ask him anything since I might be getting batteries for him this Christmas. Also I am pretty sure he used normal 7.4 2s lipos not 7.6 LIHV. Any shorty pack should be able to fit.

Any shorty pack should be able to fit.
Shorties, just like regular packs, come in different shapes and sizes. You need to find out what size his battery tray is or at least what size his lipos are. Here are a couple of examples of that and if one of these happens to fit then Id order one of these. If they wont fit then Id probably look at the super expensive no prep packs or maybe try stepping down to Fantom, Gens_Ace, or Thunder Power. I'm pretty sure all 3 of those companies make shorty packs. That being said their regular packs are middle of the road at best in terms of performance.

CHNL Shorty
Turnigy Nano-Tech Shorty (This one is really wide)

Out of all those the only 2 that are shorties are:
Gens - Ace Redline Series 5100mAh 7.6V 130C 2S2P HardCase HV Shorty Lipo Battery
Zeee 7.4V 100C 5000mah shorty pack

Out of those 2 shorties Id pick the Gens

Out of that whole list, Its kind of a toss up. The Zeee is the worst battery in that list. While regular Turnigy, Turnigy nano tech, Turnigy Graphene, and Turnigy Nano-tech ultimate are all good batteries the Turnigy Rapid and the Turnigy Alpha lipos are very middle of the road and they are fairly pricey. I've not tested any Trinity batteries yet and technically I havent tested the gensacearespammers Redline batteries either. The regular Gens are better than the Zeee but not worth the money imho.