Going big now?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make sure you have a lot of space to run it.
For a vekta I'd have to drive atleast 30min for a place to bash but thats👍 Primary problem is whether it'll be a one time cost or whether its easy to break. I'll ask about this at LSF as they probably have experience
Pro tip. Don't run into yourself
Lol I have that problem with the FG. Its hard to not hit my dad because he tries to film it closely sometimes

which ones do you have? I kinda wanna get one and do the shorty on it.
Yes as @Doom! mentioned, you definitely want to make sure you have lots or room.
They aren't super fast but they like to stretch their legs.
Both mine started out full size but my first one I installed the shorty kit.
The second one was all aluminum with a wide kit but it was way to heavy so I got
rid of a bunch of aluminum and installed the shorty kit.

Go big or go home. Just kidding, but an electric X-maxx just isn't my thing. Not the same experience. No smoke no sound no tinkering and no lovely faces of strangers walking by. Plus, a second handed vekta really does not cost much more than a new X-maxx

Last edited:
I love bashing. There's a place where I think people race gas things like MCDs but if I'm spending money on a 5th scale I'd definetely prefer a basher rather than onroad. Just my personal preference ofc👍

I love bashing. There's a place where I think people race gas things like MCDs but if I'm spending money on a 5th scale I'd definetely prefer a basher rather than onroad. Just my personal preference ofc👍
MCD also has a SCT version. Maybe something from 30 Degree North.

Being 14 myself I'd never even consider something like that. Tough fast and cheap would be the X-MAXX.
Being 15 myself, I could raise my budget a few dollars.

Tekno ET48 would probably be what I would want.

Or SCT410 2.0. More my style since I'm more of a 8th scale guy

They are a lot of fun to run but they are nowhere near as fast as a Vekta.5 is.
That's the pro's and con's I guess.

I couldn't say for sure but video more or less proved that to me.
I'm sure the baja 5b is a lot heavier.

I'm surprised by that. That's a 2wd vs 4wd comparison. The Vekta is 4wd and nearly twice as heavy. On Dave's Discount Motors website the Vekta is spec'd at 37lbs without a motor and the Hpi Baja 5b is 21lbs. When I was looking at getting into 1/5 gas rc it was Losi DBXL, 5ive-T, or the RCMK. HPI was still not manufacturing anything. I really liked the Vekta when it came out because of the trailing arm, solid axle style. But any videos I seen the Vekta needed a modified motor to have any fast acceleration or speed.

I always wanted a Primal RC Raminator
View attachment 185264
Me too! But dang that's a lot of coin.

Yes it can get very expensive, but I recommend you purchase a Rovin Baja 5b.
Awesome rigs and somewhat affordable. There are a ton of parts available and I have yet to break anything
other than replacing the cheap servo's with some good ones.
I have two of them, one is a RTR but modded some and the other is a custom built Baja.
Currently being rebuilt as we speak but almost finished.

Check out Fearless RC

That's good to know. I'm always hesitant about clones. Most times it's just cheap Chinese crap. There's not much for reviews on the Rovin's so this makes me feel better. I've read stuff about the Rofun and Kingmotors being cheap knock offs. I've been looking at the Rovan Q-baja shorty since my budget won't allow for a DBXL or Vekta anymore.

Last edited:
I'm surprised by that. That's a 2wd vs 4wd comparison. The Vekta is 4wd and nearly twice as heavy. On Dave's Discount Motors website the Vekta is spec'd at 37lbs without a motor and the Hpi Baja 5b is 21lbs. When I was looking at getting into 1/5 gas rc it was Losi DBXL, 5ive-T, or the RCMK. HPI was still not manufacturing anything. I really liked the Vekta when it came out because of the trailing arm, solid axle style. But any videos I seen the Vekta needed a modified motor to have any fast acceleration or speed.

Me too! But dang that's a lot of coin.

That's good to know. I'm always hesitant about clones. Most times it's just cheap Chinese crap. There's not much for reviews on the Rovin's so this makes me feel better. I've read stuff about the Rofun and Kingmotors being cheap knock offs. I've been looking at the Rovan Q-baja shorty since my budget won't allow for a DBXL or Vekta anymore.
Good to know, I wasn't 100% sure of that but again, I don't own a Vekta.5 but some day I will.

Good to know, I wasn't 100% sure of that but again, I don't own a Vekta.5 but some day I will.
But I think Kraken just came out with a limited amount of 2wd. I think similar to their conversion kits for the HPI baja. It was a dune buggy roll cage body.

Edit: It's called Kraken Vesla. Looks like only 20 made in the gas version.

Last edited:
Back