gear ratios????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drragonx

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm new to this hobby and have been trying to figure out all about it by reading books. However I don't understand gear ratios.(What is it and how does it effect). Finally a labeled diagram of the major components in a nitro car would be helpful.(crankshaft, arm,etc. Dunno what they are)

Gear ratio's are typically discussed in relation to the clutchbell/pinion (gas/electric) and spur.

A higher tooth count on the spur gear results in lower speed but higher torque.
A higher tooth count on the clutchbell/pinion results in higher speed and lower torque.

Higher vs lower is relevant to the vehicle you end up with and the end result you want. But the rules are the same in any case.

For instance, if you have a monster truck (savage/tmaxx/revo) and you spend most of your time running in grass, a lower gear ratio may be wanted due to the extra drag grass causes requiring more torque to keep the engine cool and clutch from melting.

If you spend all your time on concrete/packed dirt, then a higher ratio could be used due to less rolling resistance of the surface. So you would go for more top speed and less low end torque.

Here's what a quick search found that labels some of the stuff on a 1/8 scale electric buggy:
HPI_0020_Vorza_0020_Flux_0020_RTR_0020_1-8_0020_Brushless_0020_2_002E_4Ghz_0020_Electric_0020_RC_0020_Buggy_0020_diagram.jpg

When you get your vehicle it will have an owners manual that will tell you the name of all the parts and where they go.

If you go nitro the manual will also include an exploded view and parts list of the engine and carb. Hints the crankshaft and bearings, sleeve and piston locations. Simple 2 stroke engines with single cylinder. With basic mechanical knowledge you will be a fast learner. I find working on all my cars and trucks very therapeutic. Running and breaking is a bonus!