Bigger problem now Gear ratio for 1/16 erevo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

806mastadon

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
What are the gear ratios for best handling on the 1/16 erevo vxl. I currently have 45 spur and 23 pinion Help me out here. It constantly does wheelies and now I’ve put on a wheelie bar. And it made it better but idk. Help out here. I’m running two nimh in a series
I’m chewing spur gears up

Last edited:
If you want less wheelies, you want to reduce the torque. Choose a smaller pinion and/or larger spur for a higher gear ratio. Traxxas has pretty good documentation and it will give you some choices of pinions, check your manual.
1680324755294.png

Keep in mind a larger gear ratio, means more speed and but also more heat in the motor, so keep an eye on that.

You could also run a smaller (less volts) battery. It will be slower but will also cut down on the wheelies.

The third option is to use training mode. It cuts the power by 50%.
1680325054347.png

Choose a smaller pinion and/or larger spur for a higher gear ratio.
This statement is backwards. If he wants less wheelies, he's going to want to go with a taller, or higher gear ratio by going with a larger pinion and/or smaller spur.

So for example:
A 20t pinion and 50t spur would be a 20:50 (20÷50) = .400 or 40% ratio.
A 22t pinion with a 48t spur would be a 22:48, (22÷48) = .458 or 45.8% ratio (note - a higher ratio).

Keep in mind a larger gear ratio, means more speed and but also more heat in the motor, so keep an eye on that.
This is correct of course.
What are the gear ratios for best handling on the 1/16 erevo vxl. I currently have 45 spur and 23 pinion Help me out here. It constantly does wheelies and now I’ve put on a wheelie bar. And it made it better but idk. Help out here. I’m running two nimh in a series
You could try adding a little pre-load to the rear, and removing a little in the front to shift a little weight forward. If the vehicle is transferring weight to the rear easily, you can also try a little heavier oil in the shocks. Stiffer springs in the rear might help as well.

There are a lot of factors here to take into consideration. If you are driving in grass, try a tire with less of a knobby type profile, and more like a tractor tire to give a little more "slip".

Where are your batteries mounted? Pics might help.

Last edited:
If you want less wheelies, you want to reduce the torque. Choose a smaller pinion and/or larger spur for a higher gear ratio. Traxxas has pretty good documentation and it will give you some choices of pinions, check your manual.
View attachment 162639

You could also run a smaller (less volts) battery. It will be slower but will also cut down on the wheelies.

View attachment 162640
batteries are mounted on the side in side the chassis. I use black springs in the back and green in the front but it seem like the green springs are stouter. And I keep chewing through spur gears. And am apprehensive to put the alloy on until I get the plastic one figured out????

batteries are mounted on the side in side the chassis. I use black springs in the back and green in the front but it seem like the green springs are stouter. And I keep chewing through spur gears. And am apprehensive to put the alloy on until I get the plastic one figured out????
How does the pinion look? Over time it wears to a sharp point and changes the pitch.

It was fine. But idk where it is at the moment. Was a 23 tooth steel pinion. That had maybe 4 runs on it. But not full runs cause I’ve gone through so many spurs
It was fine. But idk where it is at the moment. Was a 23 tooth steel pinion. That had maybe 4 runs on it. But not full runs cause I’ve gone through so many spurs
I may have gotten mad and chunked the pinion somwhere in my back yard oops lol
The spur gear doesn’t look that bad but I can use it anymore
The line with the original pinion
How does the pinion look? Over time it wears to a sharp point and changes the pitch.
Found it

Attachments

• 5E699874-0A15-4762-9D87-99776AA4DC17.jpeg
    5E699874-0A15-4762-9D87-99776AA4DC17.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 54A3DC49-EB1B-4E03-A421-71D34AB9F293.jpeg
    54A3DC49-EB1B-4E03-A421-71D34AB9F293.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 0411F2E5-E1BF-460D-9759-2EAB7A578B6F.jpeg
    0411F2E5-E1BF-460D-9759-2EAB7A578B6F.jpeg
    436.6 KB · Views: 50
  • D566417E-B7A7-48EF-B9D7-3F0A0139B4E2.jpeg
    D566417E-B7A7-48EF-B9D7-3F0A0139B4E2.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 087FA10A-3AC1-4B31-A411-C38CBCBC4083.jpeg
    087FA10A-3AC1-4B31-A411-C38CBCBC4083.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 38D93CA2-3CDC-4A1D-A420-A2DA63EFADC5.jpeg
    38D93CA2-3CDC-4A1D-A420-A2DA63EFADC5.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 84AD5430-AF93-4EDB-84F5-60E3FAE51CA1.jpeg
    84AD5430-AF93-4EDB-84F5-60E3FAE51CA1.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 05FC0C9E-7DF5-4E82-BB42-D42BB59A0189.jpeg
    05FC0C9E-7DF5-4E82-BB42-D42BB59A0189.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Now my transmission just started smoking I set it back up stock and now I really have something wrong. 45spur 32pinion. But it starts smoking within a minute

Now my transmission just started smoking I set it back up stock and now I really have something wrong. 45spur 32pinion. But it starts smoking within a minute
The nut and spring on the spur is your slipper clutch adjustment. If it's too loose, the clutch will slip and get hot enough to melt your transmission.

To set the gear mesh, put a piece of notebook paper between the gears and slide the motor to pinch the paper tight between the gears and tighten the motor screws.

The nut and spring on the spur is your slipper clutch adjustment. If it's too loose, the clutch will slip and get hot enough to melt your transmission.

To set the gear mesh, put a piece of notebook paper between the gears and slide the motor to pinch the paper tight between the gears and tighten the motor screws.
Ok. Thank you

This statement is backwards. If he wants less wheelies, he's going to want to go with a taller, or higher gear ratio by going with a larger pinion and/or smaller spur.

So for example:
A 20t pinion and 50t spur would be a 20:50 (20÷50) = .400 or 40% ratio.
A 22t pinion with a 48t spur would be a 22:48, (22÷48) = .458 or 45.8% ratio (note - a higher ratio).
You are correct, I wasn't thinking right on that one. Obviously not paying attention.

New set of tires

A9CCDDF8-92AA-453D-A0BE-A55EEB18F696.jpeg

Make sure to get us a video of the motor going up in smoke, or your slipper clutch burning up 😜

In other words, keep an eye on your motor temps, and make sure your slipper clutch is adjusted correctly, because those tires are going to affect those things. You will possibly need a smaller pinion.

View attachment 162639

View attachment 162640
Run a 48 tooth spur and a 37 tooth pinion, it's fast as hell, and no wheelies, (but I'm on brushed so no cogging)

Make sure to get us a video of the motor going up in smoke, or your slipper clutch burning up 😜

In other words, keep an eye on your motor temps, and make sure your slipper clutch is adjusted correctly, because those tires are going to affect those things. You will possibly need a smaller pinion.
Those are the original tires for the MERV. It's currently wearing 1/16 Slash wheels and tires.

I feel like the 14.4v provided from the Nimhs in series and a loose gear mesh would probably eat spurs for breakfast.

I currently run 23/55, with Proline Trencher 2.2 tires. It's an absolute monster on dirt, definitely gonna lose a drag race though.
But it handles like a dream, and my electronics stay relatively cool no matter what I'm doing.

And as far as overall handling, good handling takes some work honestly, but, I don't regret swapping all the bushings for bearings, and swapping all the hollow balls for steel ones, that alone made a noticeable improvement. As well as stiffer springs, heavier oil.
I found the stock springs to be way too
soft, and I like 60wt in the shocks, opposed to stock 40wt.

And then there's the front,rear, and possible center, differentials. There's a whole lot going on in these little cars, but I'll stop before I get off topic lol.

Back