gas/oil mixture

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novak

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i am almost certain that Santa Claus will bring me a Baja 5T RTR (and yes i am in my 40s).
All I know about is Nitro trucks - can you tell me what is the mixture ratio of gas/oil ? also what kind of oil (normal car oil) and for the gas, normal cheap gas at the pump ?
thanks for your inputs.:)

mix it at 25:1 like you would for a week whip or leaf blower 25 (parts gas) to 1 (part oil).

basically take a gallon of regular unleaded gas (87 oct) and mix in 5.2 oz of quality 2cycle oil. I suggest Castor 927 that can be found at any motorsports shop. AmsOil Pro Saber, Klotz Supertechnoplate ect. each is around 12.00 to 16.00 per qt for 2 cycle oil.

Manual called for 35:1 or 30:1. I can check if you want me to. I run mine at whatever the manual called for with 91 octane and it runs like a champ.

mid grade gas huh? Why mid grade instead of 87? Performance? Reliability? Just curious.

I mistakingly filled my gas can with 93 one time when I was filling up my car... I don't remember if it was my lawnmower or my snowblower but it made it run like crap.

Convenience. It is what I put in my 1:1 which I gas up at the same time.

I used an 87 mix for a tank and could not tell the difference.

WOW, I use 50:1 in my chainsaws and 60:1 in my dirtbike!!

my weed whacker says 40:1 and echo sells a pack of little bottles that have just enough to do one gallon. makes it very simple!! i do NOT want to screw up that thing so i go with what echo says. that weed whacker is a beast! i swear its a go cart on a stick!

whichever oil you use, it should be printed on the label, how much to use in order to get a certain ratio.

mid grade gas huh? Why mid grade instead of 87? Performance? Reliability? Just curious.

I mistakingly filled my gas can with 93 one time when I was filling up my car... I don't remember if it was my lawnmower or my snowblower but it made it run like crap.

lessen this doesn't make any sense. higher octane just means is burns cleaner/ more completely and is less prone to detonation. most big cc engines (snowmobiles / jetskis / atv ) require a minimum octane rating of 91. this is because 2-strokes run at high compression ratios.

basically this is the rule of thumb - run at bare minimum the octane suggested by the manufacturer. running a lower octane could run the risk of detonation and engine damage. as for oil/fuel mixing ratios do the same follow the recommendations in the manual.

Last edited:
keep in mind your lawn equipment and even your dirt bikes dont make 15000 plus rpm. I wouldnt mix any leaner than 40:1 even with good oils. at best they ll get to 7000 or 8000 rpm max, 1/2 the rpm our motors tend to run at.

remember RPMs makes heat. you need a fair amount of lube to keep things moving fast and smoothly.

Back