Foam Tire Info.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedester

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey, lately I've been hearing that foams are the way to go for my parking lot bashers.

I've got a Nitro RS4 2 with an .12R SC engine, and a mostly stock Nitro 4-Tec -stock .15 pro engine-.
My RS4 hooks up pretty well, but will powerslide out of any corner, and spin out. Where as the 4-Tec, well, lets just say thats almost a drifter. :lick:

I know alot of this has to do with the shocks. -Fluid, springs, etc- but I keep hearing my best bet is to upgrade my rubber tires to foams. (I am currently running a set of HPI X-Pattern radials on the RS4, and Yokomo slicks on the 4-Tec)

Anyway, bottom line - What do you guys prefur for foams?

I was looking at the Jaco Nitro Shoes, and those look like the new tire to be running, but I wasn't sure.

Also, they mention they have degrees on them.
(35-45 if I remember correctly.)
Is this like built-in camber, or whats that story on that?

I thought you guys would know the answer to this one.
Can anyone shine some light on the subject?

Thanks, and sorry for the newbie question. :rolleyes:

IMO foams are the only way to go if you have the hp, rubber tires are for drifting only. If you in anyway have a even entry level race engine you need foams. Foams are like a guided missle, and rubber is like running in a bathtub with soapy feet. For $30 bucks for front and rear rim and tire to start I say why the hell not? The only hidden cost is in the tire truer (if you even care) and they start around $80 for one.

Well, thats what I like about those Nitro Shoes.
Tire glued on the wheels. Not a bad price.

How badly do they need to be trued?
Can you run a brand new set, or will they need truing first?

Thanks for the help my friend. :clap:

you just need to true them every once and awhile. After drving the car for awhile you will notice the tires cone on you and lose their orginal shape. That's when you true them.

As the 35-45 u saw on the box. That means the "shore" of the tire. 35 is the softest compound and 45 being the hardest. The softer the tire the more it sticks and the harder it goes up to 35.

Last edited:
Aaahh, I see.

Well thank you so much for the info guys.
Looks like its time to start saving my money again. :ball:

Thanks again.

Actually, the higher the shore number the harder the tire. Shore numbers can range from 25 to 50, more commonly used from 35 to 40, though.