flywheel and trans question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farm boy 530

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, I'm very new to nitro cars so I'm sure this may be a silly question: when I punch the throttle I can feel a kick going into 2nd gear (while holding my car) this doesn't seem right to me and I only noticed it after I re-meshed my gears. Did I maybe do it wrong? my flywheel question should be even more simple. When i roll my car backwards and stop it by hand the smooth part of the flywheel keeps spinning, I'm not sure if this is normal and I don't want to run my car if i might be doing damage to it. Any help is appreciated. -Farmboy530

The "kick" you feel while holding it (I assume off the ground) while it shifts into 2nd is normal.

The "smooth part of the flywheel" that keeps spinning...
The flywheel is the big round piece that is right next to the engine case and it is cinched to the engines output shaft by a nut.
By your description, I'm guessing that you're talking about the clutchbell - which has the gear on the end.

The clutchbell spinning while not under load is ok.
Under load (engine running and throttled up) is when the clutch shoes engage with the inside of the clutchbell and everybody (flywheel/shaft/clutchbell) all turn in unison.

Thank you so much! I will try to remember and learn all my nitro car parts! I didn't want to run my buggy before I knew it wouldn't damage it. It's broken in, time to try my hand at tuning it and have some fun!

What is this mystery vehicle? You may wanna double check that gear mesh.

Regardless of the vehicle, you always want your gear mesh to be right.
By Farm Boy's description, his vehicle is working the right way for a two speed.

It's the drive train pushing power through one way bearing that forces the spur gear to spin the clutchbell gear.
If the mesh was too tight, it would stop spinning pretty much as soon as he stopped pushing it backwards (and make a sound letting you know that it's not happy).

The mesh could be set too loose Farm Boy and you'll be stripping the teeth off the spur gear if that's the case. But you'll learn a lesson concerning what "too loose" looks and feels like.

jeese I dont know if letting the rig hit secound gear with no resistance on the tires is good.. I have heard from some people it is no good for it, and some say it doesn't do anything to it.... just my .02 i wouldnt rev it that high with out the tires being on the ground...

Thanks for all the feedback! the Mystery car is a (turns head as to not make eye contact) exceed forza .18. I know I know. to be honest for my first into car I planned on going cheap. With that aside I know the mesh isn't to tight but what would the symptoms of a loose mesh be? I can't see the gears because the location of the fuel tank and it doesn't seem easily removable. I tried the "paper trick" but i suppose it could still be loose. As for revving up to 2nd with my tires off the ground....definitely not something happening often, just wanted to see if everything was working after meshing my gears.

Revving with the tires off the ground is harder on your engine than on the driveline, but once in a while certainly isn't going to break anything.

mtaylor:
You don't peg it wide open.
You conduct your test in an rpm range that well before hitting that engines danger zone.

You throttle it up to see if it hits enough rpms that you can feel it changing gears.
You don't need much more than a second - if even that - then let it back to idle.
Retest as necessary.
Stop well before the engine is hitting its highest notes.
All things being set correctly you can usually feel or hear the change occur.
If not, try loosening your shift point.

Farm boy - sounds like you're doing it right. The paper trick works.
You'll eventually figure it out to the point where you can tell by the sound and feel.

Last edited:
Basically as tight as possible while still allowing the two gears free movement.

Back