Factory chassis drag slash motor upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxradmc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Can you get a factory chassis ( with provided extra pinion for drag racing) drag slash into 2.4 ET’s with just a budget motor & esc upgrade ? I’m not looking to dominate but want some good motor tuning options and consistent ET’s. What are y’all’s recommendations ?

I’m interested in a 2 pole 5.5 turn brushless with the 5 mm output shaft. How does sensored or sensorless apply to the esc? I’m trying to figure out amp draw during launch so I can get an esc with the appropriate amp draw.

Last edited:
99.8% is a good rating. I watch stuff like that like a Hawk.

The op isn't asking for a chassis. He is asking if you can get a Traxxas Drag Slash to run 2.4 ET's with a budget motor/ESC upgrade with the included high speed pinion. Not done any drag racing other than playing with the DR10, so I can't say. But I think it would be hard to do that on a budget. What do they run stock? Like low to mid 3's?

Can you get a factory chassis ( with provided extra pinion for drag racing) drag slash into 2.4 ET’s with just a budget motor & esc upgrade ? I’m not looking to dominate but want some good motor tuning options and consistent ET’s. What are y’all’s recommendations ?
ok

The op isn't asking for a chassis. He is asking if you can get a Traxxas Drag Slash to run 2.4 ET's with a budget motor/ESC upgrade with the included high speed pinion. Not done any drag racing other than playing with the DR10, so I can't say. But I think it would be hard to do that on a budget. What do they run stock? Like low to mid 3's?
My grandson (15 years old) just bought a drag slash and is running 2.63-2.67 on a prepped track with the drag pinion gear provided with the purchase. Haven’t bought mine yet. Doing research right now. The drk160 esc is the biggest cost that I know will work all the way down to a 4.5 turn safely with the timing and turbo settings with many more options already onboard. I’ve seen video of it powering a 3.0 turn but thats pushing the capabilities of that esc, but still looking for less expensive options.

My grandson (15 years old) just bought a drag slash and is running 2.63-2.67 on a prepped track with the drag pinion gear provided with the purchase. Haven’t bought mine yet. Doing research right now. The drk160 esc is the biggest cost that I know will work all the way down to a 4.5 turn safely with the timing and turbo settings with many more options already onboard. I’ve seen video of it powering a 3.0 turn but thats pushing the capabilities of that esc, but still looking for less expensive options.
I went with the Tekin RX8 in our drag Slash, but have yet to run it. It is sporting a 4.5T motor, but Tekin claims on 2s, there is no motor limitation. So according to them, it should run a 2T motor no problem. But that is still an expensive ESC. I don't know of any cheap ones that can handle 3T.

A 10BL120 SD and XR10 Pros handle down to 4.5T. But it's already risking it there. RX8 or XR8 should be able to handle something that low of turn motor, but those are 💲

Well coming from the off-road world, my uncle ran a old V2.1 (essentially same thing as a 10BL120 SD) with a Novak 4.5T in his SCT. Beast of a setup. But it had powerful fans and pretty conservative gearing. Don't think he ran it more than 6 minutes at a time.
But from a drag perspective, your only running for like 3 seconds tops. Just have to have the ESC and battery that can handle the load off the stsrt

I'm old school.I have a 2 turn TOPS Racing motor on a VFS 1.2 with a 5500 mah drag pack with 450C. I run under 2.3 seconds..its a XXXT g 4 with a upgraded green belt

I'm old school.I have a 2 turn TOPS Racing motor on a VFS 1.2 with a 5500 mah drag pack with 450C. I run under 2.3 seconds..its a XXXT g 4 with a upgraded green belt
Me being a noob I know what a 2 turn is ( is TOPS an acronym or a brand name?) VFS? and 5500 mah drag pack I know what that means but what is 450C? XXXT g 4 with an upgraded green belt?

I’m interested in a 2 pole 5.5 turn brushless with the 5 mm output shaft. How does sensored or sensorless apply to the esc? I’m trying to figure out amp draw during launch so I can get an esc with the appropriate amp draw.
Ok I found

Ruddog RXS 1/10 Brushless Electronic Speed Control for $65 can anyone tell me if it has multi stage launch control and turbo function?​

Also from the same company

Ruddog RP540 540 Sensored Brushless Motor (4.0T) 2 pole motor​

$32.99

Ruddogspace.com

Last edited:
Me being a noob I know what a 2 turn is ( is TOPS an acronym or a brand name?) VFS? and 5500 mah drag pack I know what that means but what is 450C? XXXT g 4 with an upgraded green belt?

Ok I found

Ruddog RXS 1/10 Brushless Electronic Speed Control for $65 can anyone tell me if it has multi stage launch control and turbo function?​

Also from the same company

Ruddog RP540 540 Sensored Brushless Motor (4.0T) 2 pole motor​

$32.99

Ruddogspace.com
Doesn't appear to have many features at all. But that motor us too hot for it. It says nothing below 4.5T. It actually says motor limit is above 4.5T, so even a 4.5T will likely kill it.

Doesn't appear to have many features at all. But that motor us too hot for it. It says nothing below 4.5T. It actually says motor limit is above 4.5T, so even a 4.5T will likely kill it.
I didn’t mean to post the 4t ad. I’m really looking at a 6t for the same price. What do you mean “features” as in multi stage launch control and/turbo function in the esc? Or is it in the motor.

I didn’t mean to post the 4t ad. I’m really looking at a 6t for the same price. What do you mean “features” as in multi stage launch control and/turbo function in the esc? Or is it in the motor.
The ESC doesn't appear to have any of that. The motors don't have that stuff either. They just turn. The ESC controls all that fancy stuff.

The ESC doesn't appear to have any of that. The motors don't have that stuff either. They just turn. The ESC controls all that fancy stuff.
Ok this is the information I recieved on that esc. I pretty much get the boost/turbo function but it’s the throttle stuff I’m not really understanding. Can you explain the throttle curve to me?
IMG_2935.jpeg

IMG_2936.jpeg

Ok this is the information I recieved on that esc. I pretty much get the boost/turbo function but it’s the throttle stuff I’m not really understanding. Can you explain the throttle curve to me?View attachment 190569

View attachment 190570
I didn't see any of that in the specs on Amain. It all seems fairly explanatory.

Your punch is going to make your car feel a lot more peppy when you give it throttle. You may want that in the medium to low range to keep you from breaking loose when you transition to full throttle.

Boost activation just controls when your boost settings kick in. You can set an RPM range or leave it set to auto. You'll probably want this set to RPM activation, and a bit higher in the RPMs to allow your car a bit of time to get off the line.

The actual boost setting you'll probably want to keep it low. It says a higher setting boosts low to mid range. Less power on launch will keep you from breaking loose as easily.

Just the opposite with turbo as it is going to adjust your top end. But the turbo setting is based on trigger position. So you'll want that to kick in once you get off the line and the car settles into the groove and you're ready to poor on the throttle.

Just make sure you have a temp gun with you. A lot of those settings will increase your ESC temp. Make a short run, check temps of motor and ESC. 160°F is fine. 170°F and you are risking your electronics. If that checks out ok, do a bit longer pass and recheck. Low turn motors really generate a lot of heat, and have a high draw on the ESC.

So ease into it. And any time you change a gear, tires, ESC setting, etc - repeat this process. When you play with the ESC settings, change one setting and test. Whenever I am trying to figure a setting out, I set it to the extreme one direction and test. Then to the opposite extreme and test. That way it's more noticeable what the setting is actually doing.

Last edited:
I didn't see any of that in the specs on Amain. It all seems fairly explanatory.

Your punch is going to make your car feel a lot more peppy when you give it throttle. You may want that in the medium to low range to keep you from breaking loose when you transition to full throttle.

Boost activation just controls when your boost settings kick in. You can set an RPM range or leave it set to auto. You'll probably want this set to RPM activation, and a bit higher in the RPMs to allow your car a bit of time to get off the line.

The actual boost setting you'll probably want to keep it low. It says a higher setting boosts low to mid range. Less power on launch will keep you from breaking loose as easily.

Just the opposite with turbo as it is going to adjust your top end. But the turbo setting is based on trigger position. So you'll want that to kick in once you get off the line and the car settles into the groove and you're ready to poor on the throttle.

Just make sure you have a temp gun with you. A lot of those settings will increase your ESC temp. Make a short run, check temps of motor and ESC. 170°F is fine. 170°F and you are risking your electronics. If that checks out ok, do a bit longer pass and recheck. Low turn motors really generate a lot of heat, and have a high draw on the ESC.

So ease into it. And any time you change a gear, tires, ESC setting, etc - repeat this process. When you play with the ESC settings, change one setting and test. Whenever I am trying to figure a setting out, I set it to the extreme one direction and test. Then to the opposite extreme and test. That way it's more noticeable what the setting is actually doing.
This info was sent to me from the European site of Ruddog .
I’m looking for an esc where I can hit it full throttle off the line and it launches soft and then applies 100% throttles at about the .4 mark and turbo kick in around the 1.5 mark. Looks like this is rpm activated instead of time activated. I could learn to deal with that . Thank you very much. I’m sure I’m gonna have more questions …. lol…. I have one now. Are aluminum upgrade parts lighter than the factory plastic parts. Bulkhead, control arms , shock mounts ….. ect. Ect .?

Last edited:
I’m looking for an esc where I can hit it full throttle off the line and it launches soft and then applies 100% throttles at about the .4 mark and turbo around the 1.5 mark
Then you're gonna be spending a lot more money.

Back