ez start pinion gear problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony88

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ez start pinion gear problem - Fixed! and Broken in

I'm not sure if this is in the right place but i recently got a nitro stampede. I have been trying to start it and the ez start wont crank the engine. I took the ez start apart and noticed the pinion gear on the elec motor is spinning freely on the shaft. If this setup busted now or is there anyway to re attached the pinion gear?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is in the right place but i recently got a nitro stampede. I have been trying to start it and the ez start wont crank the engine. I took the ez start apart and noticed the pinion gear on the elec motor is spinning freely on the shaft. If this setup busted now or is there anyway to re attached the pinion gear?

is this a new truck? if not then the one way bearing may be dirty and not locking in to drive the crank,I see now it is the gear spinning on the shaft sorry

Last edited:
is this a new truck? if not then the one way bearing may be dirty and not locking in to drive the crank

He said it was actually the gear on the electric motor, spinning free in the motor shaft. I saw that happen once before to someone. I did some searching and did not see an option on the traxxas website to buy just the pinion gear. You could try searching ebay or amazon.. but I'd say if traxxas doesn't have it available you may be looking at buying a new motor. Probably what happens is the gear is pressed on and works off of friction rather than it being locked on with a set screw. Once it wears out and there is some slob that's all she wrote.

It's a brand new truck, i haven't even been able to get it started yet. SO FRUSTRATING. I wonder if traxxas will replace it for free...?

I would take or send the whole truck back if it was me. These trucks are mass produced and sometimes you may get a lemon. If you haven't even cracked it yet I would request a new truck. Your going to have to do maintenance and replace parts that's part of it but if I didn't even get the truck cranked and it is already tore up it would go back. You need to do some prerun stuff first before you run it anyway. Seal the motor and carb there's a bunch of forums on that. Also locktight all metal to metal screws cause they will vibrate out within the first few tanks if you don't.

I don't know if I'd wait all the time it takes to send it back....ez-start crap can be had stupid-cheap online. Or just get a pullstart and glo ignitor.

If I had to send it back I prob wouldn't but if you bought it in your lhs I would return it. I agree with 2revo1maxx and loose the ez start and get a pull start and glow plug ignitor anyway. I have never had good luck with the ez start personally.

I am new to nitro and i hear a pull start can be tough with tuning etc. Thoughts?

If you don't feel comfortable with a pull start put a roto start on it. Pull start is not as bad as what you would think though. I was totally against them until I kept having prob with my ez start. Now that I have been using a pull start I wouldn't go back. If for some reason you were having a prob getting it to start you can always put your needle settings back to stock and it will fire right up you just have to lean it back out which to me that's the fun in nitro is tinkering with the settings everytime I run till I get it where I like it.

Pullstarts are easy if you prime the engine properly and do lots and lots of research about tuning. I usually get mine going in less than 10 pulls....because the last thing I want to do is prime it too much. Once it's flooded you'll have a hell of a time pullstarting it. You're better off under-priming it slightly and pulling a dozen times to get it started.

You can re-attach the pinion to the ez start motor with green locktite. It use to be a common occurrence when the ez start 1st hit the market but does not happen as often as if use to.
Clean the shaft and inside the pinion hole with acetone or similar, apply the locktite and let cure overnight.

This i why i got rid of my ez start. Had the same problem with both my t maxx and jato.. you press the button and you can hear the gear in the upper section spinning but not grabbing the other gear to eventually spin the crank... idk why but its happened so much to me i just go pull start with everything lol. but yeah pull start is soo much easier in my opinion. Not having to carry some battery with you. and its just one less thing you have to charge before you drive.

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info.php?cPath=10_2662_2330&products_id=1299

only 12 bucks and you get a new motor to start and your lhs will have this part just remember the part number.. but if you go to your lhs most of the time they will do a swap for you all they need to do is call traxxas and they send the lhs the part they had to give you.. been there abunch of times!!!! when you are new e-z start is the best part of buying traxxas!!!! the only time you realy want pull startis racing for wieght and stuff if you are just bashing it is so much easier to just reach down and zap it.. you have your personal prefrence's but easy is always the first choice to people!!!

I hav a few pull start because the e-z start was a hassle.. but I still have a few that is e-zstart because it works easier.. breaking an engine in is so much easier with e-z start, just ask my knuckles!!!!!

Last edited:
I called traxxas and they are sending me a new start motor, easier than i thought it would be. I guess ill hold off on the pull start until at least after I get this thing broken in/figure out how to tune. Thanks for all the replies!

Ya gotta like Traxxas for their service!

I'll second putting a roto-start on it.
Never liked the ez-start and would dump it for a pull-start in a heartbeat too.

Friend had same issue. LHS used blue locktite on it and ordered the part for him from traxxas under warranty. Gotta love a good local shop. Locktite got him by for the week it took to get the new motor in.

Got it Started! I gave up and brought it to a hobby shop before i did any damage! Replaced the starter motor, had to solder the neg terminal on (stupid clip broke). It still wouldn't crank so he filled the carb and engine with wd-40 and spun the engine with the plug out. This thing must have been really tight because after about 25 secs it finally started to spin quickly. We cleaned it out, primed it, used a glow starter and started right away! I would have never have gotten it to start without the wd 40 trick.

I got it broken in and this thing is a beast! definitely not used to all the power compared to my old elec cars.

I can't get it to wheely on pavement though, only on grass. Are the tires just slipping on pavement?