engine makeover

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indusnativictus

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have a savage 25 le, it seems to run to slow for me, am planning to change the engine to sts d30m or os 30vg. anybody has experience on this? if so are there any modifications needed or its plain simple change of engine.

remove S25, install OS .30. simple as that.

While you have it apart, you might as well replace the clutch bearings and upgrade the clutch. (unless you have already)

I recomend boca bearings and the mugen 3 shoe clutch with 1.0 springs. I have the 1.1's and they are harder to seat on the clutch when compared to the 1.0's

I run the THS pipe on the .30 and its more power than i need.

remove S25, install OS .30. simple as that.

While you have it apart, you might as well replace the clutch bearings and upgrade the clutch. (unless you have already)

I recomend boca bearings and the mugen 3 shoe clutch with 1.0 springs. I have the 1.1's and they are harder to seat on the clutch when compared to the 1.0's

I run the THS pipe on the .30 and its more power than i need.

thanks for the info.:moped: how about the sts (much cheaper and according to reviews- more top end)

the sts is a beast. when done right it will blow any os 30 away. but it takes ALOT of patience with this motor.

i'd choose the os .30 vg I put one in my friends savage and its a beast. it may have less top end but its a monter truck and more torque is better unless your drag racing. The only tip is if your using the roto start then make sure you get the os vg that is made for it. there are two diff back plates I beleive.

:bowtothercnt: :juggle: tnx a lot men. will try to consider each of your opinion:smoke:

my 30 is geared 47/18 and my shift points are about a 1/2 turn from being bottomed out. Its plenty fast for me and it rarely see's it top speed. Lots of low end torque for crawling over crap and busting through stuff is what i like

at present am running 44/15. still awaiting for the engine most likely an os 30 vg . any suggestions on the gearing. a friend of mine is awaiting for the engine also to give it some mods--for more top end

yeah get the OS 30 I'm sure they backj behind their product more! and its more popular for racing ect...

got lucky and have both engines, recently acquired a xss and placed the sts there, the 25 got a makeover am turning it to a truggy of sorts with the os installed. the 25 is still in its final stages just waiting for the lst shocks and mounts.

been running the sts with both diffs locked: front 100k, rear 50k with clutch and spur being 19/47. recently been experiencing frequent slips in my clutch. anybody experienced this, any suggestions ?

hey there, i got the sts D30M....and whoever said that it is better, but much more patience is required, they are exactly correct. also, no sure who said this, but, OS probably back their product more, well, not positive, but look for something made in the US, because if you do have to do warranty work, or send it in, it will be way cheaper to ship, and easier than speaking tai! also, i had a problem with the engine being much wider at the carb, and i still haven't gotten the linkage worked out to be able to get WOT. just thought i'd give you a couple points of insight, that i wish i would have had when i bought mine. the sts may be a bit more beastly when it is broke in and all, but its not going to ever be fun if all you ever do is pull your hair out trying to get it to run right, like i do.

well, haven't had much problem with the sts, breakin in and now running with it , having revo 3.3's chase me, with me just about 3/4 throttle. just one though when i went turtle over a jump and broke my engine mount. had no problem with installing it to the savage---seamless fit, oh with regards to the frequent slips, searched some threads here and read somewhere about slipper clutches, clutch bell etc.. fitted a 17 bell and right now am loving it. the carb problem--i just turned the carb so that it does not hit the tank at full throttle, that's it:celebrate2:

well, haven't had much problem with the sts, breakin in and now running with it , having revo 3.3's chase me, with me just about 3/4 throttle. just one though when i went turtle over a jump and broke my engine mount. had no problem with installing it to the savage---seamless fit, oh with regards to the frequent slips, searched some threads here and read somewhere about slipper clutches, clutch bell etc.. fitted a 17 bell and right now am loving it. the carb problem--i just turned the carb so that it does not hit the tank at full throttle, that's it:celebrate2:

DUH! never thought to turn the carb...i had some problems with other motors and the carbs, so i just try to leave this one alone! lol! so, when you turned the carb, were you able to use the original linkage then?
i dont even remember if i ever got that problem ironed out actually, i started having trouble, and ended up loosing my job...so, frustration and no money= me not touching it for about 6 weeks....my transmitter batteries died!
right now, i'm at about a half gallon through it, and i'm having trouble with it not wanting to run, and i've broken 4 pullstarts...you have any trouble like this?

i used the original linkage, just unturned or turned the cap thing that holds the ball on the carb. i have the rotostart version so have no problem with pullstart strings. at the time of breakin in the engine, i had problems of starting, but lo and behold RCNT is here--- which according to one the threads here-- unscrew the plug a little (glowplug) when starting it for the first time.... xactly what i did ...the beast was brought to life.. try to be patient with it, take care of it coz am pretty sure it will give u long hours of pleasure and maybe bragging rights lol

...which according to one the threads here-- unscrew the plug a little (glowplug) when starting it for the first time.... xactly what i did ...the beast was brought to life.. try to be patient with it, take care of it coz am pretty sure it will give u long hours of pleasure and maybe bragging rights lol

I always do that on any big block I break in. Saves trouble. Supposedly the hyper 21 is one of the hardest to pull before break-in...loosened the glow plug some and it was easy.

i used the original linkage, just unturned or turned the cap thing that holds the ball on the carb. i have the rotostart version so have no problem with pullstart strings. at the time of breakin in the engine, i had problems of starting, but lo and behold RCNT is here--- which according to one the threads here-- unscrew the plug a little (glowplug) when starting it for the first time.... xactly what i did ...the beast was brought to life.. try to be patient with it, take care of it coz am pretty sure it will give u long hours of pleasure and maybe bragging rights lol

cool, i've already had it running some, about half a gallon. and yup, i did have to loosen the plug some to get it running. the guy that sold me the motor said i might have a problem with the one way bearing, and or something with the back plate, and that he will send me the parts i need to fix it, i just need to find what the problem is first. and yes, i think i am going to switch to the rotostart version...i really liked not having to carry around my drill, but i think its going to be alot easier in the long run! thanks for the advice! (i'll remember that you've got this motor next time i have trouble! lol!)

well, i took the motor apart today to inspect and see that nothing was rubbing or causing un wanted friction...and there was no signs of rubbing or scratch marks...there was on the other hand, an imense ammount of nitro inside the crank case. i had checked it for flooding, and didnt get very much out of it, but when i removed the backplate, the nitro just gushed out. the block had to be almost full! i cleaned, inspected, and reassembled everything, and prepared to pull it over, when the pullstart that i had rebuilt, went to hell on me. so, i dont really know yet if that was the problem. AAAAAAAH!

How do you stop your engine? If it is plugging the exhaust or air filter, then it will flood the engine fast.

well, at this point of the break in, (about half gallon), i dont really need to stop the engine, it typically does it on its own. but yes, when i stop the motor, i usually just plug the stinger. when the problem started, i was just running the truck, and it started actin up, and then i couldnt get it restarted...i think it was just after i refueled it on the fly. is it bad to open the fuel tank/refuel with the engine running?
:doh:
and right now, i'm out of a job, so, i'm just trying to see what the heck is going on with this thing, and since the pull start broke, i guess my wild goose chase is over for now.

Back