do i reallly need to wait at least 10hours?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roozy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
need to wait at least 10hours to charge igniter?!

for the new glow plug igniter to charge?:ahem:

Last edited:
unless you have a quick charger that will do a single cell, yes you will have to wait. You want to be sure that nicd batteries get a full charge, especially the first time, as they will develope a memory.

You could always get a D cell ignitor for those times when you want to run but don't want to wait for the charge. It is also good to have one in case your rechargeable fails.

Be happy ur is 10 hours. I had to charge mine for 12-15 hours. Before the first use.

If you want to spend about $50 or more you can buy a peak charger with single cell capability. It will still take a few hours to cycle the D cell battery though. Not 12 hours but a fair amount of time, you don't want to charge it too quickly or you will risk severly decreasing the battery life or burning it up.

OR....you can just do what many of us here have done..... Buy the Hobbico battery and a glow clip (the kind that is used with a starterbox) from TowerHobbies.com or your LHS. I modifued my Glow Clip and added Alligator Clips that you can buy at RadioShack for like .50 cents

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL368&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNS92&P=7

Everyone who has one says they will last through an entire season...no recharging needed. For $15 you can't beat it.

Heres a pic.
660battery.jpg

Technique

Heres an example:

Say your battery is rated at 1800mAh

Say your charger is rated at 200 mA

this means it would take 9 hours to fully charge this battery from complete discharge.
So check the battery and charger output and just divide the battery/charger output... thats how long you should charge for.

Hope this helps

Back