digital multimeter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partsmgr

RCTalk Racer
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking for recommendations for a good multimeter to check batteries and other electrical items. Any one here use one?

Oh yes .Id recommend any Fluke. I have several. like A Fluke 123. or the 87v.101
There's many cheap ones on Amazon for under 20$
This is a very affordable unit .and will fit in your pocket.

ALLOSUN-EM3081 Digital Multimeter/DMM/Multi Tester Amp/Ohm/Volt Meter/Diode and Continuity Test Pocket Size​

Visit the ALLOSUN Store
4.2 4.2 out of 5 stars 48 ratings

| Search this page

$12.59 with 10 percent savings-10% $12.59

I got a chepo one off Aliexpress, works just fine (or good enough for RC use). I don't think you have to spend Fluke money to check batt voltages and continuity 🤷‍♂️
I also use it for other stuff around the house.

I got a chepo one off Aliexpress, works just fine (or good enough for RC use). I don't think you have to spend Fluke money to check batt voltages and continuity 🤷‍♂️
I also use it for other stuff around the house.
True, I wouldn’t spend a fortune if it’s just for rc use. eBay might have some really good deals on someone’s used equipment. Those harbor freight ones would get you by.

A Fluke would be overkill for what I would use it for. Guess I'll just pick up a cheapie somewhere.

Here's my digital multi. Around $60 USD as I recall. 9vdc battery power lasts a long time. Automatic shutoff for forgetful me. It's got a 'hold' button to retain the reading after disconnecting it. Handy for recording voltages.

This is a great shop meter, but hard to read in direct sunlight. For pit use, much prefer an old school meter movement multi. They can be had for $12-20 USD. Hope this helps. -AC

20240113_141350_resize.jpg

20240113_141341_resize.jpg

Fluke is good. Field piece is good. I would look at eBay.
I do have a Fluke, it's good and I also use it professionally. But they are seriously overpriced. I would not spend the money on it again. To be fair I did buy it 25 years ago and options were more limited.

If you want a Fluke branded meter I would only buy it from a known distributor, there are too many fakes. There is a low end model ($50) is the Fluke 101, meant for the manufacturing line. But its no better/more accurate than one than many others and it's VERY basic.

The whole "Fluke cult" is based on consistent usability and the warranty.

For the usability, they will make a product and the operation will be exactly the same for the life of the product. Meaning if you have a manufacturing line, you don't need to update your process documents every time you replace or update a meter.

They also have a lifetime warranty, but you pay for it.

Prior to that I had a BK Precision. It was fine until the dial got really hard to turn and I had to scrap it.

I have used the cheap-o Harbor Freight DMM and they work just fine for basics. Prepare to replace it when it takes a dump though, but what do you want $7. If you haven't used them before and don't know how much you will use it, this is the place to start. It's the cost of a cheap hamburger these days.

If you want something a bit nicer. I have not used them but they have a good rep.
  • Klien tools (sold at Lowes) has good meters.
  • Kobalt DMM is $20 and they have a good warranty too.
  • Craftsman tools
Whatever you choose make sure it has the functions you want and covers the range (volts/amps) you need.

I do have a Fluke, it's good and I also use it professionally. But they are seriously overpriced. I would not spend the money on it again. To be fair I did buy it 25 years ago and options were more limited.

If you want a Fluke branded meter I would only buy it from a known distributor, there are too many fakes. There is a low end model ($50) is the Fluke 101, meant for the manufacturing line. But its no better/more accurate than one than many others and it's VERY basic.

The whole "Fluke cult" is based on consistent usability and the warranty.

For the usability, they will make a product and the operation will be exactly the same for the life of the product. Meaning if you have a manufacturing line, you don't need to update your process documents every time you replace or update a meter.

They also have a lifetime warranty, but you pay for it.

Prior to that I had a BK Precision. It was fine until the dial got really hard to turn and I had to scrap it.

I have used the cheap-o Harbor Freight DMM and they work just fine for basics. Prepare to replace it when it takes a dump though, but what do you want $7. If you haven't used them before and don't know how much you will use it, this is the place to start. It's the cost of a cheap hamburger these days.

If you want something a bit nicer. I have not used them but they have a good rep.
  • Klien tools (sold at Lowes) has good meters.
  • Kobalt DMM is $20 and they have a good warranty too.
  • Craftsman tools
Whatever you choose make sure it has the functions you want and covers the range (volts/amps) you need.
I got a great deal on my fluke meters, someone getting out of the trade. Found them on eBay

Back