Damm Nachi Worm

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msly

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm stuck at work having to run microsoft update on 600 computers myself...it takes forever.

THis sucks....

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
Terminal Services

Hey Chris,

Do you know if its possible to download all microsoft critical updates and other microsoft update files in a package that can be deployed locally??

thanks

Mike

When you download the critical update files they go into a directory of CAB's or EXE's. I forget the directory name (probably WinUpdate) and can be deployed that way as well. It still doesn't make it go any fast, unless, you create a drone user I.D. and have a script execute upon that I.D.'s login to execute those updates.

Instead of opening the update from its location you can choose to save it as well, wherever you like.

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
When you download the critical update files they go into a directory of CAB's or EXE's. I forget the directory name (probably WinUpdate) and can be deployed that way as well. It still doesn't make it go any fast, unless, you create a drone user I.D. and have a script execute upon that I.D.'s login to execute those updates.

Instead of opening the update from its location you can choose to save it as well, wherever you like.

Sounds intresting... I have never looked into that. Would i be able to hand launch the updates from that directory if i copy it to another computer....I am udating one now and will be trying it out.

Thanks a ton

sLY

the problem is that you don't know what order to apply the updates in. if update #1 updates dllxyz.dll and update #2 released 3 days later also updates dllxyz.dll. if you apply update #2 before update #1, you won't have the correct and updated dllxyz.dll

it's a pain in the butt.

in windows nt, you could extract the service packs and drop hot fixes in a "hot fix" folder. the service pack installer would recognize the hotfixes and apply them as well at the end. if this works on win2k, you could unpack service pack 4, drop in your updates and then deploy service pack 4 on all the computers via a login script assigned to one "drone" user like Chris said.

you will still have to run around and login to each computer :( but after that it will be done. you should be able to automate the service pack process pretty easy.

you will have to do some searching cause i can't recall how it's done.

Just download one service pack/update at a time. If the MS Site allows you to do it. Usually the only time that poses a problem is if a particular patch has to be done alone. And you know that because the splash screen comes up and wont even allow it.

Sly - what update(s) are you running?

Windows update has on option to obtain updates for multiple computers. Click on the "Personalize Windows Update" link. Then check the box "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog". You'll have a new link in the left pane title: "Windows Update Catalog".

Originally posted by wdavidhicks
Windows update has on option to obtain updates for multiple computers. Click on the "Personalize Windows Update" link. Then check the box "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog". You'll have a new link in the left pane title: "Windows Update Catalog".

Yea I tried that... turns out my boss decided we are just going to go XP with all updates on the admin side.

Those bastards better pay me. So far i worked 17 hours thursday

19 hours Friday and 6 hours on saturday. At time in a half...well guess who's gettin a savage LOL

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ohhh Saaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvvaaaaaaage!