computer speed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imnotsure

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
what speed is your computer runing at and who do you use..

AMD AthlonXP 2200 (1.80Ghz)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard
1.0GB DDR PC-2700
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
40GB ATA-133 IDE HDD
45GB ATA-100 IDE HDD
LiteON 48x CD-RW
LiteON 16x DVD
465watt Enermax Power Supply
19" Sony Monitor

• Compaq Presario 2700 laptop with a couple hop-ups...
  • 512mb sd ram
  • ATI Radeon 128mb video card
  • Sound max digital sound card
  • DVD and CDRW drives
  • Linksys wireless internet card
  • DSL 512k internet service
  • Windows XP Home Edition
  • 30 gig hard drive

well, this is what i have and i'm kind of ashamed to say it:

863mhz
128mb ram
10 gig hard dri
windows xp professional
dvd?
cd-rw?
the reason i was asking about everyone's comp info is because i'm thinking about upgrading (or should i just buy another!!) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. keep in mind, i'm computer illiterate.

* oh, i forgot to put vipernet at 56kbps, but the phone lines only let me get a nice cool 26.4kbps. unless it's raining, then it's worse!

Last edited:
Athlon XP2700
1024DDR (222)
Radeon 8500 (128mb ver.)
SB Live 5.1
Pioneer DVD-RW
Yamaha CD-RW
Pioneer DVD
120Gig WD SE
2x180Gig WD SE (Raid-0)
Antec 480w PS
21" Sony CRT

FTP Server:
Windows 2000 pro
500Mhz Intel
A-bit VL6 Motherboard
4MB Video
500MB RAM
Fastrak100 tx2 pro IDE Raid Controller
(2) 7200RPM ATA100 WD60GB HDD (Raid 0)

Web Server:
Windows 2000 Pro
Dual 500Mhz Intel Processors
A-bit VP6 Motherboard
4MB Video
1GB RAM
(2) 7200RPM ATA100 WD60GB HDD (Raid 0)

GF POS:
Windows 2000 Pro
ComCrap Presario 800 :thumbdown

THE BEAST: :banana:
Windows XP Pro
Dual 1Ghz Intel Processors
A-bit VP6 Motherboard
2GB RAM
Asus GeForce4 Ti4800SE V9480/TVD 128MB DDR
Audigy 2 Platinum
YAMAHA CRW3200 24/10/40 CDRW
(4) 7200RPM ATA100 WD60GB HDD (Raid 0)

Connecting everything:
Standard 102 Key Keyboard
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
22" NEC Monitor
Masterview 4 Port KVM Switch
Linsys BEFSR41 Router
Linksys 8 port Switch
Motorola SurfBoard Cable Modem (Approx 3MB bandwidth)

Last edited:
yeah, well i don't know all my specs, all I know is I got a 500mhz process with a 6gb and 17gb harddrive. Both are full to capacity.

robriguez you need to explain your self a little better

I gave up the video games. I even slod my video game computer to pay for my buggy. LOL

What people don't know is that surfing the web, printing crap out, etc etc doesn't take that much. You could seriously surf with 100 mhz. All of the PCs at my work are bare minimum CPU speeds. That's how I buy them. You will pay through the nose just for bragging rights and our company has no need for bragging rights.

If you want to run the 3d games, however, you gotta shell out the big bucks.

No time for games here: 1 ghz athlon at work 800mhz p3 laptop at home.

-Rob

Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
AMD XP 2400+ (2.0 GHz)
1 GB Cosair XMS Platinum Series PC3200 CAS 2
ATI 9700 Pro (Retail)
40 GB Maxtor
60 GB IBM Deskstar (In USB 2.0 Case)
120 GB WD 8Mb Cache
Lite-On 52x-24x-52x CD-RW
Acer 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Sparkle 350W PSU. Soon to be upgraded
17 inch CRT. (Best Buy special)

All housed in a modded Lian-Li PC65 case.

This is just my main rig. I also have a Dell Inspiron 8200 1.7 GHz lappy for work/school. I also have 4 cows. They range from 800Mhz to 1.4 GHz. Way to much to list.

Last edited:
All of those machines are about 1-2 years old. They were all peiced together out of spare parts that have accumulated over the years. Those are my personal machines I run out of my apartment. I just recently upgraded the HDDs to run RAID everywhere.

None of the machines at work are more than PII 300Mhz. As Rob stated, theres no need for anything faster. We dont do graphical anything here. And aside from the 5-6 ASP machines we have there is no need for that much horsepower. Before getting back into RCs, PCs were my hobby.

THE BEAST is my personal machine now and was a dream project (kinda like the CyberMaxxes in other forums on this board) It was fun to build and expensive as hell. But now that its built I needed to find somewhere else to focus my energy....hence the decision to go Nitro.

Imagine all the $$ some of you guys spend on hopups and fixing broken parts....I just put that $$ into computers. Oh the only PC games I own/play is MechWarrior3, Mechwarrior4-Vengence-Blacknight and now Mercenaries

AH someone else to understands about the upgrading computer feaver. :) I have two very dangerous hobbies. RC's and Computers. :) I love doing both but they are also very $$$.

anyone wanna sell a spare HD? I have 600mb of memory left in my 6g hd

Kwong, do you know that you live right next door to the best place in western Washington to buy computer supplies? I used to comparison-shop a long time ago but no more. I just drive to InfoTech.

Infotech Systems, Inc.
1414 S. 324th St. #B119
Federal Way WA 98003
Phone (253) 839-3540
Fax (253) 839-3731
[email protected]

http://www.infotechnow.com/shopping/default.asp

They're on the northwest corner of 324th and Pac Hwy, at the south end of Ross Plaza.

Last edited:
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
GeForce 4 Ti-4400
256mb DDR (other 512 already burnt out lol)
MSI KT266a mobo
80GB WD 8mb cache hdd

And a few other things

Old system :) Havent wanted/needed to upgrade. When I do, watch out. :)

Pictured are the domain controllers. Nothing impressive performance-wise. One's a 333, the other's a 400. Both running NT Server, SP 6. PDC has an eighty gig hard drive which is pretty much a central repository for MP3's and videos.

therack.jpg

Not pictured is my son's 333 with a decent nVidia card and plenty of ram, the living room laptop used for TV time surfing, and my machine:

Asus A7V333, Athlon XP2000, 512mb DDR ram, nVidia GeForce3 Ti200, Creative SB Audigy and Altec Lansing subwoofer and satellites, 40gb WD HDD in a swappable bay (so the kid can use a good machine too, on a separate HDD).

My only problem is remembering where I put everything.

explore.jpg

Last edited:
dang wdavidhicks, you got plenty space there...

what did you use for the screenshot?

Broadband just became available in my neighborhood a few months ago. I had to jump on it. A month after that I was running into serious disk space problems. That necessitated the 80gb drive for the domain controller.

<Alt><PrintScreen> copies your active window to the clipboard as an image. Paste it into your favorite photo editor.