Common issue or is something wrong?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandrade11

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So i took my savage x 4.6 out for a drive today when i was bringing it back towards me after a foot or so it stopped and just rev'd in place and i had thought maybe one of the drive shafts had fell out because it had just flipped and rolled back over but one of the driving gears actually shredded all its teeth, is there stronger ones made or is this a common issue?

E6y9JIJ.jpg

You have stripped your first spur gear congratulations LOL there are several reasons it could have stripped one being you gear mesh was set to tight or you motor has worked loose a bit causing it to eat the gear. Robinson racing makes an all metal gear but you will still need to make sure the mesh is correct.

I would stay with stock also. They are plenty strong enough, its usually something else that causes them to fail, like your gear mesh got messed up or cb bearings are bad.

stick with plastic. they are cheap and you dont need to do any other modifications to the truck to use them. ebay is my parts source. get 2 or 3 since you will probably strip another before you learn to properly set the mesh.

way i set mesh is to loosen all 4 motormount bolts on the bottom of the engine plate slightly till the engine and mount need som pressure to move. i spin the spur then hold it tight and put my finger in and try to roll the clutch bell. there should be just the slightest movement. tighten up the engine bolts spin the spur again to maqke sure it spins freely and i am off and running again! hope it makes sense

look for hair line cracks in your engine plate
100_2679-Copy-Copy-Copy.jpg

all so make sure out put shaft bearing are good and its a good idea to change out you bell bearing they take a beating as the spur is striping.
look your engine case over for cracks as well.

Is this a new Savage? You probably just need to adjust your spur gear mesh a little more flush. Don't use the paper method as described in the manual, it sucks! Just adjust your mesh the smallest you can go without binding.

Also I would suggest not to upgrade to metal spur gears until you really are familiar with mesh setting. The plastic spur will last gallons if correctly meshed and there are no other problems with your truck.

Here's how I adjust my spur gear. Skip to 1:15 of the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I laugh every time I see someone wearing gloves!!

You just can't take a person in purple gloves working on their savage seriously. :)

I'm a professional mechanic and I wear gloves all do so when I read this I automatically know your a shadetree.l guess you make fun of lebron's headband because you don't wear one when you play basketball in your driveway▪

Yeah but the difference in oils and grease from a nitro RC car and a real car are night and day. There's no need to wear gloves working on a RC car. I understand why you wear gloves working on a real car. Sharp metal, oil, grease, busted knuckles etc.

Ill second rubber gloves for any messy mechanical work, I too turn wrenches for a living. The debate is never ending. Everyone starts out being to high and mighty to use them, soon as it becomes impossible to get your hands clean when they become stained, you start reaching for the glove dispenser. Just becomes habit. Makes clean up super easy, and anytime you need a clean hand you can rip one off. Some techs wear multiple pairs to act as tear offs, but thats an extreme and mostly lube-techs.

Ill also say that truck is clean enough to eat off of haha. And sweet stand!

And hey, if a guy wants to wear a flame retardant suit while he works on his garden hose, I say have at it.

Edit: And I sure wish some rubber gloves would prevent cuts and busted knuckles. Though I'll add getting dirt, grime, and oil/solvent is sure not fun to have in an open wound, when your hand is covered in it, gloves FTW.

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

lol. :p:D

Edit: Careful now, wouldn't want to get any of that toxic wax under your nails!

Last edited:
...and that pic was from the early days when only about half of it was alloy. Now I have to wear a welder's mask if I wax it outside on a sunny day.

015.jpg

Back