Comcast upgrade FREE? Just wait

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I got a letter from Xfinity to reboot my modem and I'd go from 50Mbps to 75 "all at no additional cost."
They are liars and thieves, so how much longer before I get another increase in my bill.
I have internet, house phone and cable through them and I pay $147 a month. What an intense ripoff. I don't subscribe to any premium channels. This is COMMERCIAL TV I'm paying a fortune for.

you will get an increase as soon as you reboot your modem, cable TV is such a rip off they kind of have you by the genitals though. Where I live I have 2 options either Charter or Direct TV and they are both a rip off for what you pay.

I have NO other options. Comcast wired this complex and they have the EXCLUSIVE rights. We can't put a dish in the window or on the roof, so that's what we get.

I got 1 dvr, and a couple premium channels (HBO and Showtime) with expanded basic cable and basic high speed internet and its almost $185 a month.

I only have two options where I live Dish or Direct, so I have direct. We are too far in the middle of nowhere that dsl and cable is not even an option.

I have the DVR and the hi-def plus, but no premium channels. I'm seriously thinking about dropping all the way down to basic and spending more time with Netflix.

We have the HD DVR package along with phone and internet nothing extra and it's about $170. Probably going to cut back in the next few months to basic and just keep using the VUDU for my shows.

I only watch TV after getting into bed. All I want are my science channels. Sci, History, H2, Discovery, PBS, etc.
I'm paying a lot of money to watch just a half dozen channels. Problem is, I'm FORCED to pay for Disney, Cartoon Network and endless other crap I never watch.

Try looking at a TiVo @Rolex. All you will need is a cable card (usually $1 or 2 from Comcast) and then TiVo runs about $12-16/month. You can then access not only the cable channels, but the online services as well from Hulu and Netflix. This is usually cheaper than what they rent a DVR from the cable company and it's a better box and interface.

Try looking at a TiVo @Rolex. All you will need is a cable card (usually $1 or 2 from Comcast) and then TiVo runs about $12-16/month. You can then access not only the cable channels, but the online services as well from Hulu and Netflix. This is usually cheaper than what they rent a DVR from the cable company and it's a better box and interface.
WHAT? I get Netflix and Hulu without the monthly fee? I'm paying Netflix about $8 a month, and hardly use it. What cable channels would I get?

The similar threads at the bottom of the page made me laugh harder than it should have

Actually it uses the accounts that you pay for on Hulu and Netflix, @Rolex. It just puts them in one place along with content it can record from cable or Over The Air (OTA). I used one of the last SD models with the so-called cable service here.

No, you still have to pay for cable. It replaces their DVR/cable box. Unless you're willing to forgo Discovery Channel and the like. Then you can get a TV antenna and be done with it. I actually get a better picture than I did with my cable company. Anything I want that I can't receive OTA I get from Hulu and Netflix. There's also Dish's streaming service as well that offers the cable-only channels like Discovery without needing cable (just broadband service).

I have NO other options.
Yes you do. All you need is fast internet. I bought a smart TV with Roku built in. It hooks up to my Wi-Fi and I can watch all kinds of streaming content. Netflix, Pandora, Discovery...bunch more. You should check it out. You can get a 27" smart tv for a couple hundred bucks.

I'm not going to downgrade my TV from the 60" I have now. It has an ethernet input but I couldn't get 1080i through it. Internet is also Comcast.

Try an HDMI cable with ethernet. You sure the TV is 1080i ? I don't know much about it.

Unfortunately, @Rolex, almost all of the current TV broadcast in the US is 720p.

Trust me, the big TV is 1080 or I wouldn't have gotten it. I also have the hi-def package through Comcast.
Broadcast is one thing, but ALL the channels above 1000 are in hi-def and so is the Blu-Ray.
Channel 1002 is the beginning of the hi def channels and that's PBS. Channel 2 is standard broadcast of PBS at 720, square picture. (4:3 aspect ratio)

Back