Carbon fiber Towers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon2

Nitro ASSpired!!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Has anyone tried these on their 1/8 th scale buggies? ARe they stronger then thicker CNC made towers? What are the disadvantages and advantages to them?I was think of trying them out on one of my rides. Opinions ?

Thanks

Jon

It is my understanding that carbon fiber is stronger, and lighter, but the CF parts on my Prospec flex pretty easy. Maybe it is stronger verticaly, but I'd stick with CNC allum. sor the strength side to side on shock towers. Just my $0.02

The cf on the prospec is extremly durable. I would just get a set of 5.mm lightened if i werew you.

I have seen them on EBAY and somewhere else so I was just wondering.

Possibly stiffer, lighter, but definately more brittle. Great if you never crash, for the rest of us stick with alloy towers.

carbon fiber is nice as long as you sand the edges and seal it....otherwise it has a tendency to crack and peel....i just got a new xb8 and if you look at my kingheadz xb8 post you'll see what i'm getting OFF my buggy....i personally dont like CF and think they put it on there so they can leave room for improvement....lol

I think it would be a good performance ivestment for a pro only because of weight savings but for any normal users who can't seem to stay off the walls it probably isn't a valuable item.

I always compare the cost of replacement to the life of the part...If better part A lasts half as long but costs half as much to replace as more rugged Part B then I go with A....My :2cents:

Better meaning more performance oriented vs. more bulky & rugged parts

Ok All I've seen are thin carbon fiber ones, so what about this? If they made a 5mm thick carbon fiber shock tower, then would it be better than a 5mm thick allum. one?

nope.... have you ever seen an aluminum tower crack and break under stress.....i know the aluminum bends but at least it will finish the race....if CF bends to its breaking point...its gone....just my 2¢ worth

husky24tn®

but will it have a higher resistence to get to the point of popping is the point of his post.....