capabilities of (rear) buggy shocks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Ok, so I knew I was gonna run into a problem with header clearence because of their proximity to the shocks.. so then I thought about using buggy shocks cuz I've read you can run 1 per corner. I've done some searching and found that I would need to get rear buggy shocks but my question is can only 2 shocks at one end of the truck take the beating of the weight of 2 Outlaws? here's a little more info on what I got goin on...

reversed chassis (to put engines toward the front)
2 OFNA/Picco .26s
currently have Integy MSR5 setup in the rear which I'd like to keep
New Era sway bar at both ends... I'm also wondering if there is a difference in spring dia. between rear buggy shocks and Maxx (stock or aftermarket) shocks. If they are wider they probably won't work very well with the sway bars.. or at the least would inhibit further my selection of shock placement at the tower.

oh...duh. this is for a T-maxx... sorry

I figured If I can just eliminate the inner set of shocks at the front (in front of the engines) I don't have to screw around with having my buddy make me all kinds of custom parts to extend the chassis even further which I'd have a hard time replacing when I start breakin stuff.
or could I just throw on some xx stiff springs on one set of MSR5's and use a heavier weight oil.. maybe like a 50 or 55 weight with 3 hole pistons? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to use my integy's (so I can break 'em like everybody been talkin about :( ) since I already got 'em.

Last edited:
There is a new 17lbs monster truck out that was featured in rc car action this month. Its the CEN Genesis and because it is so heavy it has specially made heavy-duty shocks. If I were you i would look into getting them because they would work well with your heavier truck. I dont know if they will fit onto a normal t-maxx chassis so you will have to look into that.

I ran a set of 4 supermaxx shocks on my 21 maxx. It weighed in at about 15lbs. I now run the set on my sport maxx that I built after realizing that a t-maxx 21 just sucks to maintain. I also have installed 4 on my savage. They can take a hell of a beating.

On the savage, I run the springs that came with them (black in rear and navy up front) along with 60weight oil.

On the sport maxx (I think it's around 10lbs now), I run navy in the rear and white in the front with 60 weight oil.

IMHO, any more than 4 is overkill on a single engine truck, but I think they would hold up for you on a dual engine truck as well.

The other option is to go for supershocks by racerx. I bought 4 for my 1/8th buggy and they work awesome for it. My friend runs them on his t-maxx with awesome results. I'm guessing a set of 4 or 8 would work for you. They are available at www.unlimitedengineering.com.

RiceLaxer06 said:
The other option is to go for supershocks by racerx. I bought 4 for my 1/8th buggy and they work awesome for it. My friend runs them on his t-maxx with awesome results. I'm guessing a set of 4 or 8 would work for you. They are available at www.unlimitedengineering.com.

Ummm.... that's what the supermaxx shocks are. Although, I bought mine at: http://www.hobbyshopnj.com/monmaxx.html

I got the upperarms here: http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=1552

Back