broken t-maxx axle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-maxx_mumbler

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey all... I'm new here and just wondering if anyone could help me out here . i have a t-maxx 2.5 and i just built a sweet just for it and on the therd lading it came down a little har . the front left axle has cracked right at the ball joint and i bought some new ones and was wondering if there is any east way to change them or some sort of trick .... thank so much for your help

1) Remove tire and rim.
2) Remove drive hex and pin from the axle shaft.
3) Remove the allen headed lock pin (from the bottom) that is at the differential and slide axle off the diff.
4) Remove the front outside shock at the lower A arm. Compress the shock through and out of the upper A arm.
Viola. Pull the axle shaft outta the steering knuckle and replace.
Reverse procedure for reassembly.
Also, if you want, attach a body mount cushion to the end of the axle shaft where it mates with the differential. Doing this will keep dirt and junk away from the bearing. This really helps out if you still use the original 2.5 diffs that utilize metal shielded bearings. I upgraded to 3.3 diffs (rubber shielded bearings) after I grenaded 3 2.5 diffs from playing in the sand.
Hopes this helps you out.
Now that you are back together, get out there and see what else you can break! lol

Last edited:
Follow the above directions, expet, reinstall CVD's instead of the stock shafts ;)

Amen Ray. I put a set of RD Logic center shafts and Tsias axle shafts in a couple of days ago. Nice. Took a lot of play out of the drivetrain. I did notice upon the installation of the axle shafts that I had to take the top pillow ball out of the steering knuckle. Mumbler, you could do it this way and delete the removal of the shock. I was just telling you the way that I done it. Everyone has their own procedures and preferences. You just gotta find out what works the best and easiest for you.

t-maxx_mumbler said:
hey all... I'm new here and just wondering if anyone could help me out here . i have a t-maxx 2.5 and i just built a sweet just for it and on the therd lading it came down a little har . the front left axle has cracked right at the ball joint and i bought some new ones and was wondering if there is any east way to change them or some sort of trick .... thank so much for your help

If you're trying to do what I think you are then that is mate the drive shaft back on the U-joint. If that's the case, then make sure you have a hard surface with a sharp edge. (90 degree edge) Put one pin from the U-joint ball in one side, or as much as possible, then push the other pin in enough to stick. Once you have that done take the side that has the pin still out, and put it on the edge of the table and push. The force will spread it apart and the grooves will guide it into the hole. It's hard to picture if you don't have the parts in your hand or have not done it before but that's the way I've found is easiest for me.

rehpotsirk said:
Amen Ray. I put a set of RD Logic center shafts and Tsias axle shafts in a couple of days ago. Nice. Took a lot of play out of the drivetrain. I did notice upon the installation of the axle shafts that I had to take the top pillow ball out of the steering knuckle. Mumbler, you could do it this way and delete the removal of the shock. I was just telling you the way that I done it. Everyone has their own procedures and preferences. You just gotta find out what works the best and easiest for you.

The first time I had to replace a twisted shaft on my son's emaxx, I said this sux. The second time it happened, I got online and ordered some off brand CVD's lol They're a little cheaper than MPV's but they're better than the stock T/Emaxx shafts! Now a set of 3.3 Maxx shafts would work well also if you can get a deal on them. The 3.3 maxx should be 10x's easier to fix over a stock 2.5 maxx since they're basicaly Revo shafts. You can actually break the U-joints down instead of prying on it to fix it.

It's taken me a little time and money but I finnaly gotten my son's emaxx to the points it's actually fun to work on. I'm just not sure I want to spend that kind if money/time on my Tmaxx lol

rehpotsirk said:
1) Remove tire and rim.
2) Remove drive hex and pin from the axle shaft.
3) Remove the allen headed lock pin (from the bottom) that is at the differential and slide axle off the diff.
4) Remove the front outside shock at the lower A arm. Compress the shock through and out of the upper A arm.
Viola. Pull the axle shaft outta the steering knuckle and replace.
Reverse procedure for reassembly.
Also, if you want, attach a body mount cushion to the end of the axle shaft where it mates with the differential. Doing this will keep dirt and junk away from the bearing. This really helps out if you still use the original 2.5 diffs that utilize metal shielded bearings. I upgraded to 3.3 diffs (rubber shielded bearings) after I grenaded 3 2.5 diffs from playing in the sand.
Hopes this helps you out.
Now that you are back together, get out there and see what else you can break! lol

Thanks! Worked perfect for me.

Back