Broke some part in the Front Diff

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMAXX

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi Guys,

Since I broke a front differential I figured I would show you the easiest way to remove it from a T Maxx 2.5 There are 8 screws to remove on the front chassis so you do not need to pull the whole front of the vehicle apart.

FrontDifferentialTMaxx001.jpg
[/IMG]

After disconnecting the steering linkage at the ball joints and the 8 screws on the chassis the whole front suspension can be removed.

FrontDifferentialTMaxx003.jpg

Remove the front bumper there are 4 screws hold it on.

FrontDifferentialTMaxx005.jpg

Next step is remove the screws that hold the shocks in place on the lower suspension arms.

FrontDifferentialTMaxx006.jpg

At this point you can remove 2 of the screws that hold the front differential to the shock tower and half the suspension pulls away.

FrontDifferentialTMaxx007.jpg

Then remove the other 2 screws on the shock tower and the other half of the suspension is removed.

FrontDifferentialTMaxx008.jpg

I like to keep all my screws seperated as I pull my R/Cs apart in groups in which they came off

FrontDifferentialTMaxx009.jpg

Next step remove the drive shafts from the differential.

FrontDifferentialTMaxx010.jpg

Before I removed this next part I marked the top of my differential by scatching a T into it so I would remember how to reassemble it.

FrontDifferentialTMaxx011.jpg

I split the differential in half to inspect the damage and it stripped the screws that hold the gearing in place. This will be seen in the next two photos.

FrontDifferentialTMaxx012.jpg

I pulled apart the part that broke and flipped it over inside the differential case. This stuff is very greasy.

FrontDifferentialTMaxx013.jpg

Now I know which parts I need to replace and will probably buy everything I need to rebuild the differential including bearings since it has probably been 10 years since the last time this has been rebuilt. After I buy the new parts if you would like I will take some pictures how how to put it back together again. It will be a week or so because my LHS may not carry these parts in stock so I may need to order them.

Last edited:
Parts have been ordered from tower along with some other stuff I need/want. I order a lot from Tower hobbies and a member of the super savers club and get really good deals plus extra discounts. Non members this month 10 bucks off a $100.00 buck order I get 15 bucks off as a member plus free shipping.

Buy a whole new dif on ebay. save yourself some agrivation.

I would keep the busted one for parts.

He he I can do that to my Savage XL without even having to take the wheels of the truck. 6 screws, pop the diff cover off, and bingo pull it right out. Don't even have to take the front axles out.

Nice write up, but you're about 10 years too late. I still see people asking how to do this from time to time.
I would definetly get the new diff, they can be had cheap on ebay.
Cwal sure is proud of his savage.

^^probably happens a little more than he care to admit
i'm sure there's a savage page here somewhere

At this point I would order a diff from a emaxx and install it in place of the old diff, the emaxx diff fits just fine and is much stronger.

Man I remember the days of having to do all of that crap just to work on my diffs. Now with my savvy I can have the diff out in under a minute without ever taking off the wheels.

There is a very good reson hpi makes it easy to change out the diff's.
Imagine how pist off people would be if they had to take the truck apart to change the diff's every couple tanks of fuel...

There is a very good reson hpi makes it easy to change out the diff's.
Imagine how pist off people would be if they had to take the truck apart to change the diff's every couple tanks of fuel...

What?

I have replaced the diffs in every kit I own except for my XL. The XL has some of the strongest diffs you will find in any kit. I have over 5 gallons on my XL and have only removed the diffs maybe 3 times and the was just to change the oil until I found a setup that I liked.

Calm down cowboy, just poking some fun your way. Don't get all bent out of shape.

Who's down for a little chicken?

Like I said theres a savage forum on here somewhere
Must be a bit quite over there but, especially if they are coming on a maxx thread

I enjoy tearing it apart and putting it back together again. This is a 10 or 11 year T Maxx and it is only the second time I have had to rebuild the differentials.

I think that is pretty good odds for the age of the truck and the abuse I have put it thru over the years. I have had more problems burning out bearings in the tranny then I have had with the diffs.

I am on the second transmission and keep the old one around for a spare.

I am on the second engine it probably only has about 3 gallons of fuel run thru the 2.5r engine. Last engine had about 7 gallons of fuel and still ran good but I wanted to install a 3.3 in my 2005 Revo 2.5r

Always enjoy the this is better then that discussions.

Last edited:
Back