Best Suspension Set up for jumping and all around bashing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revo_rob_1984

OverMedicated
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well as many of you may already know i am kind of new to R/C and especially nitro r/c. . .but i was wondering what the best suspension set up would be for jumping and all around bashing. . .i have already rebuilt my shocks with 40w shock oil and used the stock pistons (they came with the rebuild kit) and i was wondering if i should put stiffer springs on it or if i should just fine tune the shocks with the stock springs because when i jump my revo it smacks down hard on the skid plates and i have cracked the front one twice since the rebuild and i am not happy about replacing the skid plates all the time. . .they aren't expensive obviously but its still a pain. ..i jump my truck off of a home built ramp and at the highest point of the ramp it 27 inches but it has quite a lip on the front of it for it to really get some sick air. . .(and it has, i jumped over 2 cars sitting side by side with it, thats when i broke the skid plate the first time). .. but any info/opinions would be helpful. . .thanx a bunch:ponder2:

Thicker shock oil and smaller holes in the shock pistons should help you from bottoming out.
I think the P1 rockers will help out too.

Not really sure how much the springs will help out. Not saying they won't, but for changing the dampening, I have changed pistons and oils.
Have you adjusted the ride height yet?

put the shock spacers in to make your springs tighter...

Thicker shock oil and smaller holes in the shock pistons should help you from bottoming out.
I think the P1 rockers will help out too.

Not really sure how much the springs will help out. Not saying they won't, but for changing the dampening, I have changed pistons and oils.
Have you adjusted the ride height yet?

How do i do that i have not done that yet?

The 40 wt oil should help a little. Stock is supposed to be 30 wt i think.
When you empty the old oil to put in the 40wt, you can see the shock piston. You can change that to one with smaller or larger diameter holes. Your Revo should have come with extra pistons and the other sized rockers. If not, they are in the variable dampening kit. There are 3 different options to choose from. Can't remember what stock is. If you are inclined to change it, go to one with smaller or less holes.
I would try the 40 wt first and see how that does though. You can also adjust the tension on your springs to alter your ride height a little bit. But your ramp sounds like you may have to do a little more, like push rod adjustment, rockers, springs etc.

try taking your rod out and putting a little fuel line under the piston. you can adjust your travel so that if you bottom out the shock, it will still have the chasis off the ground.. its is a very simple way to keep your chasis and skids brand new forever.. i replaced my chasis since it was tweaked and i used this mod and i still havent got one scratch on any of my undercarriage, and i run my truck everyday with intentions of destroying it.

try taking your rod out and putting a little fuel line under the piston. you can adjust your travel so that if you bottom out the shock, it will still have the chasis off the ground.. its is a very simple way to keep your chasis and skids brand new forever.. i replaced my chasis since it was tweaked and i used this mod and i still havent got one scratch on any of my undercarriage, and i run my truck everyday with intentions of destroying it.

F'n good idea bro!!!!!!!! thanks for the tip! Hey, do i need to leave a gap so there is play or no?

Has anybody busted there shocks b4 when land n hard? if so, how do u prevent that from happen'n?

It is time for me to replace my shock oil. What weight does everyone else use for bash'n?

Last edited:
the fuel line is a good idea. . .and when i rebuilt my shocks like i said i used 40wt oil and used what i thought was the stock piston but i was wrong i used one with 3 holes instead of 4

Back