Best Hex Drivers?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan811

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Who makes the best hex drivers? I can't drop the coin on the HUDY set....I was thinking OFNA's set b/c they have the lifetime warranty on the tips.....any word on drivers?

I like my ofna drivers. They are tough as nails. Haven't stripped or broken mine...yet.

I've had a set of MIP drivers, yellow transparent handle, been using them for almost 2 years now, and havent striped one yet, they are pretty tuff, i sometimes use them for other things that they are not meant to be used for, but never seize to amaze me how the hex, is still in perfect shape.

here is a picture:
mipr9009.jpg

trust me, you wont regret getting a set!

Last edited:
I have an older style set of Associated drivers. the were pricey but work every penny, to me.

SpitFireV12RR said:
...by the big brand tool names. Find you specific size and get a good brand like craftsmen. http://www.acehardware.com/product/...geBucket=0&parentPage=family&searchId=1304612 I can't find a driver set, but thats a great set, especially for the price.

Stay away from L wrenches, they are ok when you are a noob, but a decent set of hex drivers will make wrenching much more enjoyable.

I like my red dynamite drivers, they haven't failed me yet. Losi also makes nice drivers, though they tend to roll right off my table.

I purchased one hudy driver (2.5mm) and I'm not convinced their tips are the best. Mine wore down very quickly compared to my cheap dynamite set. I like the length of the shafts and weight of the handle but was very dissapointed with the tip.

All I use are HUDY. several kits and 2 racing seasons later, they still bite well, haven't roounded any edges of the tips. I have no other drivers to compare them towards because the HUDY set is all I have ever had to buy.

Be warned, HUDY tools can be very expensive.

Many brands have bit their design and look exactly the same, i'm not sure if they are the same quality.

I use THS tools and so far they seem to be working out.

I would also make sure you get regular and ball ended tips for angles that normal drivers can't get too without stripping somthing.

sweetdiesel said:
Stay away from L wrenches, they are ok when you are a noob
haha... My brother managed to break one of my Integy drivers... but who knows what the hell he was doing. He does stuff like that all the time. What a retard. anyway...... I have dynamite ones as well, and they are great. Integy is good also.

Paid $64 for my set of HUDY drivers. 1.5-3mm and the .5-3/32. Expensive? depends how you look at it. I just buy once and buy right. IF I were to break a tip, all I have to do is send the tip back to HUDY. Be fore warned, with ball end drivers, you will strip a head a lot faster if too much force is used since it will not allow full contact with the inner walls.

If you can afford it, get it. If you can't ... save up and get the best possible set you can buy. Whether it's for building kits or general maintainance, you'll be happier and less frustrated. Will I buy anything other than HUDY? dunno, haven't had a reason to switch. Do I want any other brand? Not really. I went through a bunch of them (don't know what brands .. it was a hodge podge of brands) in Joey's tool box and didn't really like the quality of the tools.

Remember, this is just what I prefer. Go to your LHS if you can and try comparing brands. Feel as well as utility is very important.

Last edited:
That is my price. They retail the set for $74.99. Do you need a set?

btw, that is the exact set that I use in the link you provided.

Maybe I should make what I said more clear about the ball ended drivers.

They should be used only when its absolutely neccessary on tough angles, other than that, try to avoid them.

You won't use them as much but they do come in handy once in a while... Just a nice feature to have.

I bought the losi metric set 5 years ago. I broke the 1.5mm tip... but I was prying on something. I never did find the tip. It pretty much just shattered. Took me 20 minutes to get a piece of it out of my eye!

Other than that, the tips still look like new. The handles however are a different story. I stripped out a couple set screws on a couple drivers because I like to take the tip out and put it in my drill. I stripped out the little set screw and had to dremel it out. Ever since I re-drilled and tapped, then replaced the set screws with a 3mm hex head I haven't had any problems.

One thing to note is the quality of screws is important. A sloppy fit will also mess up good tips.

Last edited:
You may want to look into Xcelite drivers:

http://www.all-spec.com/1/brands/Xcelite/Tools|Hex+%5E+Torx+Drivers

I've had a set of these going on 5 years now and used them back when I was a telecom installer. I've lost a few of the blades over the years, but the ones I have haven't failed me yet! I use them for more than just R/C stuff too.

Bouzouki said:
Maybe I should make what I said more clear about the ball ended drivers.

They should be used only when its absolutely neccessary on tough angles, other than that, try to avoid them.

You won't use them as much but they do come in handy once in a while... Just a nice feature to have.
You were quite clear. Just remember that even though it was made so that "funny angles" can be reached, the possibility of stripping is still there because of the lack of contact. I ahve a set of ball drivers as well and to tell you the truth, they stay in the box. Most manufacturers make it so that these won't be necessary. The only time I have ever used the ball drivers is when doing shortcuts while disassembling in a time crunch between heats at the track.

As long as you dismantle in an appropriate fashion, you should have no use for them. ALTHOUGH, the Xray T1FK05 does call for them when around the bulkheads. The new T2 should alleviate this problem since the redesign. I'll know for sure when my kit comes in.

Actually, the losi wrenches aren't flat on the end. They are rounded a little bit. I'm not sure what the purpose of it is, but they have lasted me a long time.

And yes, it is a nice feature to have. I just wish the kit manufacturers used better quality screw sets.

Back