Best/easiest break in for Savage X 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcobrien

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm a newbie & want to know the best/easiest break in method for my new Savage X 4.6. Should I follow the HPI instructions or is there a better method?

Everyone has theyre own method. But every time i have broken in my engines it has always come out good. Google it and find which one is best for you. I used the traxxas break in procedure. But there are alot of different ways.

You're going to get many opinions on how to break in your engine. For my xl I followed the hpi break in method and I've had no problems. For tank 1 thru 3 make sure you have it off of the ground. 2 2x4's on a 5 gallon pail worked for me and then I did 4 and 5 on the ground under light to medium throttle. For tanks 4 and 5 the best way to break it in would be a tennis court or another flat surface but not the street. You don't want your truck to stall in the middle of the street. Also some tips: the break in does not have to done all at once, read the manual a couple of times and invest in a temp gun. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

just put em on the wheels and run em round a parkinglot right from the gitgo. 1/4 throttle bursts for the first couple tanks. 1/2 throttle bursts for the next couple tanks, 3/4 throttle bursts and hold for 15 or twenty seconds for next couple tanks(traxxas method). monitor temps the first few tanks and dont let them go over 200-210(may need to wrap the head with a rag the first couple tanks) and you can start leaning it a bit at the 4th or 5th tank

good things come to those who wait and have patience

broke a f46 in this way a month or so ago and it woke up at about the 3/4gal mark and should last quite a few gallons

Steering trim

Received my Savage X 4.6 today (happy boy!). I've noticed the steering is off centre with neutral trim & have to use full trim to get it straight. What's the easiest way to rectify this?

Also, do both the inner & outer air filters need to be treated with oil, or just the inner?

I've got the aluminium tuned pipe. Should I fit this before or after break in (or doesn't it make a difference)?

Why is the fuel tank fixed so flimsily? Seems a weird way to do it..

Finally.. What's the oil included in the spare parts bag?

Sorry for all the newbie questions ;)

1:take the servo saver off servo, center the trim button,pull throttle back on transmitter a couple time to get servo centered, reinstall servo saver.
2:i do both inner and outer. i just lightly coat the outer
3:put the pipe on
4:take the tank off, remove the 2 o-rings on the posts, cut a couple thin pieces of fuel line and slip them on the posts. that will tighten the tank up some
4:shock oil, 15w i think is stock.

Anyone know if I can adjust the idle speed while breaking in the engine? Wheels are spinning very fast even with throttle fully trimmed back..

Engine is running at about 170 degrees & spitting out loads of fuel!

Does the fuel not get really hot with the fuel pipe running so close to the engine on the Savage X 4.6?

Last edited:
You would have to adjust the throttle servo like the steering servo. You don't want the wheels spinning under no load because it can damage the connecting rod.

You would have to adjust the throttle servo like the steering servo. You don't want the wheels spinning under no load because it can damage the connecting rod.
It's running really rich (loads of fuel coming from pipe). Would that be the cause too? Don't want to start adjusting things while breaking it in, but at the same time, don't want to damage anything..

---------- Post added at 5:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:59 PM ----------

Also, I've noticed that if there's any contact with the steering trim dial, for instance slightly touching the dial up or down then the steering veers off in one direction or constantly wiggles as if there's a loose connection. If you rotate the trim dial left & right, it all works fine. But any pressure (up/down/left/right), even brushed slightly will make the wheels go off at an angle & the only way to straighten them after this is to apply full trim, even though I adjusted the servo arm before starting.

It doesn't happen if I touch the throttle trim in the same way..

Back