Best break in procedure

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheffieldgaz

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am new to the nitro rc scene and i was just wondering if any one could help me with the best & easiest way to break in a new engine

thanks

What do you mean what kind of rig?

Tomahawk st with pro18-bx engine

Follow the instructions in the stickie posted above and it should be fine. Also go through the truck snd seal the engine, make sure that the diffs hsve enough oil or grease and tighten all the screwd and nuts using blue LocTite on metal to metal fasteners.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

i still really dont get it is there anywhere that give a list of like what to do i.e 1st tank 2nd & so on ?

It is not based on tanks. It is a heat cycling method. You bring the motor up to operating temps run it there for a few mins than shut off. Let cool and repeat. Every few times increasing the amount of time you keep it's temps up.

Theres all sorts of different variances on this but the whole idea is to heat it up and cool it down SEVERAL times. This "heat cycling" will allow all of your moving and rubbing parts to properly wear into each other and you than sucessfully "break in" the motor. I have always run a full tank and let it cool for 1/2 hour before I fire up a fresh tank. When running it I usually dont go over 1/4-1/2 throttle until I have 3-4 tanks run through it. Once towards tank 6-8 is when I tune for performance and lean the needles out some. I always prefer to run a rich setting vs many people run for performance and go leaner than I would.

So basically its best do drive it from the first tank at no further then 1/2 throttle for the first 3-4 tanks ? Which is the best setting for speed lean or rich ?

A proper tune that is not too rich or too lean is the best setting for all around speed and longevity after break-in.
It is usually best to break in the engine according to the manufacturers instructions, especially when new to Nitro.

The manufactures instruction to me read as though there in a different language I don't understand I though there would have been some sort of easy 1-5 list or something like that of how to do it but guess not

Again theres different variances of the same method. You can talk to 10 guys on here and probably get 6 different variances of how to do the same thing. Snook has a point and your best bet is to follow the mfr instructions. If your having difficulty understanding the lingo or what they are asking you to do than just post your question and we will do what we can to answer it