batteries...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twopie24

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
is there a signifacant difference between batteries that are matched and those that are not??? I'm iterested in racing my tc3 and i want to know if matched cells will help in performance...

moses

Yes matched packs are better.

First, there isn't a matching company worth beans out there that doesn't test/cycle EVERY cell that they get their hands on that is used in electric RC racing. They weed them out, good cells get matched up with similar quality cells, those that make high voltage, runtime or both, to make a matched pack. The rest get tossed into a pile and sport packs are made from them.
Matched cells are better cells in general. they will have better runtime and voltage then an unmatched pack.

When making a matched pack several things come into play. Matching charge time is one of the biggest. Discharge time, average voltage and internal resistance is factored also.

I say matching charge time is the biggest because if one cell takes 2000 mah of charge and the next one in your pack can take 2200MAH either the low cell is gonna overcharge while being peaked or the better cell wont reach full charge. A battery pack is only as good as it's weakest cell, matched or unmatched.

nice explanation Wardo!

Originally posted by Wardo
Yes matched packs are better.

First, there isn't a matching company worth beans out there that doesn't test/cycle EVERY cell that they get their hands on that is used in electric RC racing. They weed them out, good cells get matched up with similar quality cells, those that make high voltage, runtime or both, to make a matched pack. The rest get tossed into a pile and sport packs are made from them.
Matched cells are better cells in general. they will have better runtime and voltage then an unmatched pack.

When making a matched pack several things come into play. Matching charge time is one of the biggest. Discharge time, average voltage and internal resistance is factored also.

I say matching charge time is the biggest because if one cell takes 2000 mah of charge and the next one in your pack can take 2200MAH either the low cell is gonna overcharge while being peaked or the better cell wont reach full charge. A battery pack is only as good as it's weakest cell, matched or unmatched.

Check out this auction and tell me if you think this battery cells are actually matched or not....does anyone know where I can get something to check to see if the cells are matched or not...

Originally posted by zoeybadm

Check out this auction and tell me if you think this battery cells are actually matched or not....does anyone know where I can get something to check to see if the cells are matched or not...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3172299282&category=34063

sorry I forgot to attach the web address

I highly doubt they are matched. They don't list any type of numbers like run time, votage cut off, charge rate, discharge rate.....nothing. That is dirt cheap for those packs with that kind of voltage if they were tested correctly but, there isn't any type of labeling on them or they'd be able to sell them with the "Note: These cells are claimed to be 1.17 from GP. We do not match them or test them. We are offering them to you at this extemely low price because of this. WE make no gaurantees to what your "equipment" will show"

I should buy a pack and have them cycled on "equipment" like a CE Turbo Matcher, what every good company matches on, and see what they really are.

Beware of these being what they are advertised as, but the price is still good no matter how good the cells are. Not worth the money though if you want something better then sport or practice packs.

Um, they used to list this auction with this in the decription:

"Note: These cells are not "stickered" because they are matched at the factory by GP. They do not use stickers. All cells are 1.17 or above (average volts @ 30amp discharge). All cells are matched to this criteria and grouped with similar voltages. These are simply the best of the best that GP produces."

Complete BS. Even if they do that, that is not a matched pack.

The two negative feedbacks they have go like this:

" these are bad cells not anywhere close to as claimed"

"Not a single 1.17 in the bunch! Seller needs to check his listing or specs! FFF"

Back