baja 5b ss or 2.0?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runaway Jim

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm thinking of getting a baja but am torn between the ss kit or the rtr 2.0. I have radio gear, all I'd need is a throttle servo. Is the stuff that comes with the ss kit that much better than the standard equipment on the rtr? Also I've never built a rig before. I currently have revo 3.3 and a losi 8ight rtr, version before 2.0. I've been through each of them a few times so even though they both came rtr, I built them each a few times over. Do you think I'm getting in over my head with the 5b ss kit?

i built the kit as my first one, and made it with no major mess ups. i think the only thing the SS comes with that the 2.0 doesn't is the 26cc engine.

if you can put together a desk from walmart, you got the SS whipped.

personally i would get the ss because it has the bigger motor and you get the enjoyment of putting it together

SS, definitely, no question about it. Building it was the most fun I've ever had working on a rig, and the satisfaction of knowing that YOU built it is worth the wait of the build time twice over.

And yes, the SS parts are THAT much better, or at least they were. The 2.0 closed the gap a bit.

Plus by building it you save about 300 bucks. SS kit=$899, RTR = $1199

Yea like everyone else I am going with the SS also.

The 26cc and the build is worth the saving of $300.00 (now that didn't make much sence, anyways :p::p:) yea get the SS.

If I could ever afford one I would go with the ss

I built the SS and it was a lot of fun. The 26cc engine is bad to the bone. Nothing like rooster tails of grass and leaving the ground bald.....love it. Also save a good bit on money building it yourself too.

One thing you'll want to upgrade regardless of which one you get is the stock rear tires. The HPI branded tires (except the paddles) are all junk and wear and tear very quickly, especially with the power of the SS.

\
\\
\\\
\\\\
\\\\\
\\\\\\
\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\
\\\\
\\\\
\\\\

What he said. Go with Hostile and you'll be good to go. However, the stock tires if you keep them offroad will last a little while. Just stay away from pro-line.

Eh I think the Proline Badlands are pretty nice. I would have gone Hostile had I known better but I still like the Prolines.

thanks for all the tips and advice everyone. i think i will go with the ss kit. my local hobby store, 5 minutes from my house is stocked full of parts and the guys there are really great. they said i could build it in their back room if i wanted just in case i run into an issue. great people! thanks again everyone...

I just bought the SS. So far putting it together has been fun! Go with the SS if you can (if your pockets can)

Eh I think the Proline Badlands are pretty nice. I would have gone Hostile had I known better but I still like the Prolines.

Dood do you even run your buggy?? :hehe::hehe::hehe:

I think mine lasted no more then a few weeks. I hated them :angry:

Dood do you even run your buggy?? :hehe::hehe::hehe:

I think mine lasted no more then a few weeks. I hated them :angry:

Heck yeah man! Mostly grass since I can't go anywhere that isn't within walking distance at the moment, but once I get my license I'm going to look around for a construction site or some old gravel piles.

The Prolines are way better than the Dirt Busters though, lol

get a killswitch for it too..best upgrade.

SS kit is the way to go. Nothing like making sure from the get go that you have a solid set-up, your prefered radio gear on it, your choice of solid servos, the awesomeness of seeing it come together and knowing that when its racing around, you're the one that put it together. The know-how you receive from assembling it comes in handy during repairs later also. The only thing i dont like about my SS kit is the orange anodizing and thats ignorable lol.

As for your first hop up, dont run it without a killswitch. I reccomend PB's killswitches. When i get home I can provide a link. His is the best on the market, hands down. Hostile tires are where its at as well. I run Hostile AT's on my Baja at the moment and I'm about to buy Pro-Line Desperado wheels and Hostile MX's for my rears. Pro-Line tires though wear far faster than Hostile, but are better than stock I suppose. I have yet to run stock tires.

ss leaves money for upgrades. be for warned though, the baja is capable of robbing you blind. hide your receipts and don't order from daves (the best in the baja business) on firefox. actually don't even visit daves on firefox. firefox results in the wife finding out how much you actually have in the baja, which in turn results in the baja or the wife conversation.
p.s. don't self queen it, they deserve better than that
0609091607.jpg

Back