Backwards Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Good idea/bad idea

• Good idea

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Bad idea

• Interesting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveovington

Jack of all,Master of none !
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
So I have this rgt rock cruiser body that I think is really cool, and I also have a frame that will fit it but I was thinking of adding some plate steel to all 4 corners with multiple holes drilled and tapped for shock mounting ect.. and then one hanging off each side about an inch lower than the bottom of the frame rail with holes drilled and tapped for links ect... and then.........I was thinking of maybe putting the motor right in the back of it with the 2speed facing forward and the transfer case somewhere in the middle feeding the axles power and because I have enduro axles all I have to do is flip the ring gear over to reverse the direction of the wheels and everything in theory should run like normal. Oh did I mention that the frame will be backwards too because in doing all of this I can drop the height of the truck and I can fit the bigger batteries right between the frame rails length wise with a tray raised a bit above the frame so my axle mounted front servo doesn't hit it when the truck is flexing. Thoughts ???? I know it's a bit mad scientist but like I've said before, " the fabricating and building part of this hobby is what I really love about it "

Waiting patiently.

tenor.gif

So it's not a horrible idea then ?!? Lol. Sorry folks I'll ad some photos tomorrow my health did not let me outta bed today. So far I've basically just stripped it down to the frame rails, decided to flip the frame front to back, and cut the plate pieces and just clamped them into place . I'll take photos tomorrow hopefully and then also get the plates welded in place . I'm almost thinking it will be easier to predrill and tap them before I weld them and then just Finnish the holes through the frame once they're welded on . For now they are just rectangle plates but once on the truck I will see if I can shape them a bit , as long as it doesn't interfere with mounting locations. Function over form in my shop lmao 🤣 😆

We like anything wild and crazy here Dave, build away and post some pics.
Get to feeling better first.

Not horrible at all, as long as it functions and makes you happy.
I figured that my big batteries are heavier than the motor and Trans so if I can have it right up front somehow , lol. But I've got my IFS2 coming on Tuesday so I have a day, day and a bit to make some good progress or it'll end up on the back shelf lmao 🤣

So , I didn't get much done today on it because I had to work and my beadlock wheels came in for my trx4m high trail and realized I now need to get extensions for them lol. Anyhow I did take some pics of what I've done so far and I quickly slapped together some axle stands so it'll make my life alot easier figuring out my links and drive shafts and stuff.

20240122_090803.jpg

20240122_091625.jpg

20240123_001946.jpg

20240122_084738.jpg

20240122_084746.jpg

So , I didn't get much done today on it because I had to work and my beadlock wheels came in for my trx4m high trail and realized I now need to get extensions for them lol. Anyhow I did take some pics of what I've done so far and I quickly slapped together some axle stands so it'll make my life alot easier figuring out my links and drive shafts and stuff.

View attachment 179829

View attachment 179830

View attachment 179831

View attachment 179832

View attachment 179833
Got a bunch or holes drilled through the corner pieces of plate . They're not all exactly in line but I don't exactly have a proper drill press . I make what I have work ,like a red neck MacGyver lol. Plus I had to fix and replace the drill in the drill press first.. anyhow here's some more pics of what I did today and I laid the frame on the axles and put the motor and stuff somewhat where it will be going to give an idea of how it's going to be. 4 or 5 more sessions like I had tonight and it will be something that resembles a truck again lol 😆 also I ground the plates so they are all the same shape exactly after I finished drilling the holes, before I drilled the holes I put a tack of weld on 2 of the ends of all 4 pieces to hold them all together during drilling.

20240123_221846.jpg

20240123_214710.jpg

20240123_230626.jpg

20240123_230644.jpg

20240123_232105.jpg

Sorry folks I haven't been on much lately I had some of my kids cone out for a visit and then I've started to get a sct built amd ready to join the racing fun in my local area this year. Kinda put this build on the back burner and been focused on the sc10 .I have had another squirrel ( idea) for another scratch build too though. I had a four door jeep that had a bad crash and busted alot of the back end of the body up. I was playing in the shop the other night amd decided to cut the rest of the body off from behind the front doors and box in the cab from there , and then I had an idea to take my spare sc10 Frame and maybe stretch it a bit amd use some suspension parts I have to build a cool monster truck or something like that, my buddy wants me to build it into a drift truck which is a cool thought but I don't know how many places there are to drive that kinda thing too much so I'm thinking monster truck will be the way to go. Lol I get too many ideas and too many things on the go sometimes so it rakes me a bit to actually Finnish something,sometimes 🤣 🤣 anyhow I still plan to co.plete the backwards build as I think it will perform quite well if I distribute the weight properly , batteries up front , transfercase down low, droop the frame and all that neat stuff. Man I love this hobby 😂 🤣 again sorry for my absence for anyone who's been watching this thread and waiting for some progress reports.

20240229_002836.jpg

20240229_002806.jpg

20240302_131043.jpg

20240302_150635.jpg

20240302_150703.jpg